Spark plug gap and torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have a manual, what should the gap be as well as the torque specs for a 2002 4.7l motor for spark plugs? Replacing with stock champion but need to make sure gapping is correct and them being snug.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have the answer - but I'd suggest getting a Haynes manual - lots of good info.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ask the parts store next time. They always print it out for me. I know on the Hemi it was .045.

Some anti-seize on the threads and just snug the plug down. I normally just grab the ratchet as close as I can to the sock and tighten it. The closer/shorter the handle - the less leverage/torque you'll get. It doesn't need much..

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't have a manual, what should the gap be as well as the torque specs for a 2002 4.7l motor for spark plugs? Replacing with stock champion but need to make sure gapping is correct and them being snug.

CHAMPION 439 Copper Plug Gap .040; OE Plug

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I believe it's champion RC12MCC4, atleast champion websites item number.

I'll ask the parts store if they can print it out for me, also look to see if they carry those books.

I did read just do it snug but then saw others saying torque it down, I don't own a torque wrench yet, need to get one. But I was thinking how the hell does a torque wrench fit all the way to the back plugs.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could of sworn it tells you the recommended gap of the plugs under the hood, or at least it does on mine

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question, was at local parts store, need to get spark plug socket and they had a boat load to pick. Choices were; magnetic socket, spark plug non magnetic socket, swivel spark plug socket magnet, extension spark plug socket.

What would be the best? I have universal joint sockets so I can swivel, but any help I appreciate!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I hear a thin wall is best and if it's got some sort of device to hold the spark plug in, that is best.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I am going go out and buy everything this week I have one more question. Should I replace (I believe it is called this not sure) the coil plug as well since its original?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I've never changed plugs on a 3rd/4th Gen Hemi, but I am told it is a good idea to buy some dialectric grease to lube the coil pak boots before you reinstall them. This is so they don't stick to the plugs and tear the boots for the next plug change. oh yeah, this is for 4.7L, It's a little different, advice to lube spark plug boots is still applicable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got everything needed, last question. Should I put antiseize grease on threads? I thought I read the 439 plugs don't need it but want to double check.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't. Why? It SEEMS like a good idea, I had a plug back out on me one time. Just once and it was a long time ago and I used silver anti seize compound.. I have never to this date had one freeze up in the head. Others might have , I never have.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
image_zpsexoctfy2.jpg

O-rings look fine to you guys? See I cracks just dirty

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like it is already letting dust in. I don't consider it a "critical" item, it keeps most dust and most moisture from getting in. When I pull one I always blow in the hole with compressed air before removing the spark plug itself.

What you have there is pretty typical if not a little on the clean side actually.

I did replace mine but I have tons of o-rings laying around the shop. If you replace them and just buy plain old o-rings get viton, it handles heat better.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I have no o-rings so I'd have to buy if replacing is needed, which I don't mind spending. So far I did 6 plugs and all the cool packs looked like that or looked like that ( o-ring) and the shaft? Had more black crap on it.

Where can you get Viton o-rings? If I replace them should I put any lube on the o-rings?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a quick search and looks like you can get OEM's all over the internet for like 3 or 4 bucks a piece. I wouldn't replace them for that much LOL.

I didn't see a cross reference for the "dash" number for the o-ring so I don't know what to tell you on size but I get my viton rings from McMaster-carr or Zatkoff.

I put lube on mine, don't know if it is the right thing to do or not but they sure do slide in easier.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I googled Viton O-rings and apparently harbor freight carries them in a variety pack for $10 so might just get that today after work. I know with some o-rings you have to watch what type of lube you use on them because through time it can make the swell, maybe just put that dielectric grease you mention on that and the boot?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye