spark plug wires ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone know where to get the wires that just go from the coil pack to the sparkplug that's right next to the coil so you don't have to run the wires across the top of the enging ? like the ones in the pic ?

search

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 124

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can make them yourself. At any auto parts store, look for the wires kit where you attach the end yourself.

OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By any chance do you remember the name and model number of them idk why but I enter my vehicle and it keeps pulling up wire set for Chevy big blocks lol

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know they were Taylor wires. Give me a little while I'll find the part number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They ran the wires from the factory like that for reason , puts less load on the coil driver inside the pcm, do you have a factory pcm? Maybe it turned out not to be an issue with factory pcms.

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These are what I ordered TAY-72641. That is a summit part number

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They ran the wires from the factory like that for reason , puts less load on the coil driver inside the pcm, do you have a factory pcm? Maybe it turned out not to be an issue with factory pcms.

Pretty sure I've never seen or heard of this being factory

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No its not, I am saying changing it to this setup, from the factory setup, with the long wires that go across the intake, puts more load on the coil drivers in the PCM

OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sprak plug wires ?

so is this safe to do ? lol

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's more of cleaning up the engine bay

Sorry. I didn't reply properly.

I'm saying I don't think there is any issue reducing the length of the wire, because the loss of power between a short cable and a long cable due to resistance would be about the same.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its not the resistance of the plug wires. The coil packs fire every engine revolution, not just on the compression stroke. So by running the wires across to the opposite cylinder in the firing order, each coil pack is only firing 1 spark plug that is under compression. It takes less K.V. to fire a spark plug that is not under compression.
I would not do this mod unless allot of people have tried it and have verified it does not shorten the PCM life.
They didn't wire them from the factory like that because they had allot of extra plug wires to use up.
I learned about this back when I went to school on the first gen. Hemis. Like I said, maybe in real life it turned out to be a non issue. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would not change the designated coil to cylinder combo. If that is what you are saying then yes. I am simply saying shortening wires doesn't change the amount of spark.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would not change the designated coil to cylinder combo. If that is what you are saying then yes. I am simply saying shortening wires doesn't change the amount of spark.

Agreed.
I am talking about the picture of the HEMI submitted by the OP. and what the OP is considering doing on his truck. I would not do it and chance damaging my PCM

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mikeyn23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ajwalk2008 how long have you been running your wires like that ? have you had any problems

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just short of a year now no problems at all knock on wood