spark plug wires - question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a set of spark plug wires and plugs Champion RE14MCC4, I gapped them to .045

I was just looking at the wires to notice that only 8 come in the package. My 04 2500 5.7L Hemi has 62,500 miles on it and is skipping, running really rough and throwing random misfire engine code.

Is it not required to change the other 8 wires?

Thank you,

Steve

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would also clean your throttle body if it is running rough. They are known to get a lot of oil buildup on the back of the blade, so that could be causing some of the trouble as well.

Dont spray TB cleaner directly on the TB though. Spray brake cleaner on a rag, and then use the rag to wipe the TB clean. Never spray the cleaner directly onto the TB.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will have a coil over the primary plug. The wires go to the (waste spark)plug on the opposite side. I'd recommend doing them 1 at a time as to not mix them up.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the wires and plugs changed, unplugged battery for about 20 minutes to clear check engine light.

started it up, took it out, seems to be running fine, no longer rough.

Ran a few errands, went to my daughters soccer game, check engine light is back on again.

Still feels fine.

Now I am looking for a code reader that works and gives detailed information, preferably for under $100.

Any ideas?

The trick of turning on and off 3 times doesn't seem to display anything on mine.

Thank you,

Steve

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Order an obdII Bluetooth adaptor off Amazon and get the torque app for your phone. Works great and cost less then $30 total.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Order an obdII Bluetooth adaptor off Amazon and get the torque app for your phone. Works great and cost less then $30 total.

I see there are many different ones, is there a better brand or specific one that works best?

Will this identify which cylinder is giving the problem?

Thank you,

Steve

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered a generic one. It is blue. It will tell you all codes and show real time info.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 04 2500 5.7L Hemi has 62,500 miles on it and is skipping, running really rough and throwing random misfire engine code.

Is it not required to change the other 8 wires?

Thank you,

Steve

I just put a new battery in this week and the random misfire codes and sputtering at 2500 RPM is gone - weird.

Steve