SRT Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Has anyone here actually done the swap? I have an 03 QC Hemi, and have been considering it, but before I start buying the parts from the you-pull-it, I wanted to get some input. If not, has anyone done any other brake upgrades (other than drilled slotted rotors)?

OP
OP
Slusho

Slusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Pics? Tips? Did you swap rear axles? Do the spindles actually lower the front of the truck?

Thanks in advance!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pics? Tips? Did you swap rear axles? Do the spindles actually lower the front of the truck?

Thanks in advance!
Oh, you wanted more of an answer than that lol? Do you have a 2wd? I don't know if this will work on a 4wd. It's probably possible, since the spring difference (coils vs torsion bars) is handled by the LCA. I swapped axles to get the gears, bigger axle and brakes. It isn't the spindles that really control the height in this application, it's the coil springs. When I did this originally, I used springs from a quad cab SRT; coupled with drop shackles this had the effect of almost completely leveling the truck. Any load in the back made the front end higher than the back, so I ended up switching to regular cab SRT front coils; this brought the front end back down where it was supposed to be and increased handling. The SRT spindles are also quite different from regular 1500 spindles. This also contributes to better handling because the caster/camber rates are geared towards it. Also the front sway bar on a SRT 1500 is the same exact one on a regular 1500.

Before
DSC00295.jpg

After
DSC00299.jpg

Look at the top of the spindles, see how they are shaped different?

Dana 60
DSC01386.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

Keep in mind if you do just the front brake swap, your braking bias is going to be off. Stock brakes are 2 piston floaters with 13" rotors (IIRC), while the rears are single piston floaters. I swapped to the 05-06 setup, which 4 piston fixed calipers on a 15" rotor. The rear SRT brakes are bigger than the stock front 1500 brakes. If you don't intend to do the Dana swap (the SRT brakes will not fit to a 9.25) you might be better off installing the 04 setup. Not quite as large, they are still huge 2 piston floaters on the same size rotor. Braking bias won;t be so far off and if at some point you decide to swap rears, the 05-06 calipers will bolt right in place if you are so inclined. Another thing to keep in mind with the Dana swap; regular 1500's mount the spring over the axle. SRT quad cabs also do this. SRT reg cabs do not, they are lowered from the factory and the spring mounts are on the bottom (like an old school leaf spring car). You will also need a custom driveshaft.

Some tips:
I did this entire setup over a year or so period. Most of these parts are EXPENSIVE. I was very patient and found deals wherever I could. The calipers I got off ebay, they were brand new but the guy had them labeled as 04's so no one wanted them, I ended up with them for less than half what they were worth. He also had spindles from his truck (it had caught fire) that I got for a song. These are the most vital part of the project and usually the most expensive outside of the axle. Picked those up with the brakes for like $200. Springs I got from Cleveland pick-a-part (they are on ebay and have their own site, good source for parts but they will butt **** you on price most times). Someone in FL was parting out an SRT quad cab, picked up the dana for $700 and change plus shipping. Pretty much everything else is Mopar oem parts or stuff from Autozone (rotors, bearing hubs, etc). Patience is a virtue in this case unless you have deep pockets. I work for the government and I'm married, so I don't.

Parts list I used
1. SRT spindles (find these first!!) (ebay)
2. SRT brake calipers (ebay)
3. SRT front rotors (Autozone)
4. New front bearing hubs (I did this mod at a little 100,000 miles, well worth
the insurance. Also, the old ones wouldn't come out without destroying
them)
5. New front brake pads (had to go oem for the time being)
6. SRT front coil springs (tried the quad cabs
first, the settled on the reg cabs - Cleveland Pick-a-part)
7. SRT Bilsteins (totally worth it for handling/ride)
8. Dana 60 with brakes
9. New oem type rear brake pads
10. The Dana came with rotors, I blasted them then had them turned, cost
me about $50 for both
11. Custom driveshaft (this one hurt, about $700 for a 6' aluminum shaft.
SRT quad cabs have a 2 piece steel shaft with a carrier bearing in the
middle. I may switch to this later on)

That pretty much sums it up. If you have any further questions feel free to ask. When I was seating the pads in after the swap I almost launched myself through the windshield. Wear your seatbelt when you do it.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had just the SRT 4 piston front brakes on my truck and it really improved stopping power/brake feel.

P1014762.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you decide to go aftermarket, I have 1 set of the Red powdercoated SSBC front 4 piston Caliper and 14" rotor kits in stock...this kit also comes with pads. These are a great upgrade to the factory brakes up front, and will require much less work than the SRT-10 swap. I dont know how the pricing compares to the SRT-10 kit, but the SSBC's are $1599 shipped.

SSBC 02-2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Front 4 Piston Aluminum Caliper/Rotor Brake Kit

The price on the site is for Clear anodized, so shoot me a PM if this is something you would be interested in.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you decide to go aftermarket, I have 1 set of the Red powdercoated SSBC front 4 piston Caliper and 14" rotor kits in stock...this kit also comes with pads. These are a great upgrade to the factory brakes up front, and will require much less work than the SRT-10 swap. I dont know how the pricing compares to the SRT-10 kit, but the SSBC's are $1599 shipped.

SSBC 02-2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Front 4 Piston Aluminum Caliper/Rotor Brake Kit

The price on the site is for Clear anodized, so shoot me a PM if this is something you would be interested in.

If you were to buy all brand new SRT parts, then this kit would definitely be cheaper. The only thing I wonder is: I know how hot my cast iron calipers get hauling down 5300+ lbs. How well/long do these aluminum calipers hold up under that stress?

OP
OP
Slusho

Slusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Awesome pics and writeup! Car-part.com, here I come!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Like I said, be patient. Deals will come. Most of the car-part listings you find will be for Pick-a-part and X2 builders.

juan440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brake Upgrade

I assume that you connected the new calipers to the existing hoses on front and rear? After review of the parts catalog it looks like its a different master cylinder and power brake booster for an SRT 10 all coded BR5. You've had no issues with the brake components on a standard truck code BRR operating the enlarged pistons?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I assume that you connected the new calipers to the existing hoses on front and rear? After review of the parts catalog it looks like its a different master cylinder and power brake booster for an SRT 10 all coded BR5. You've had no issues with the brake components on a standard truck code BRR operating the enlarged pistons?

Thread resurrection! No I did not.

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392

While your at it, add a hydroboost setup, I'm running hydroboost, srt fronts and stock hemi rears, brakes like a **** :) . Very happy with the setup.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemilonestar- did you paint the rotors black in those parts? Like how that looks since mine are rusty :/. Also is your surface where pads touch rotors is it still that nice silver?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hemilonestar- did you paint the rotors black in those parts? Like how that looks since mine are rusty :/. Also is your surface where pads touch rotors is it still that nice silver?

No I didn't, those pics are from 2010 lol. They aren't shiny right now because she doesn't get driven on a daily basis. Once I take it out for a run and come back they are. I originally wanted to get Power Slots, but I couldn't afford it at the time (big ass 15" rotors are expensive!).

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it a special costing on them to keep them silver looking at all times? I hate how mine are rusty/dark looking when they started off being silver.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it a special costing on them to keep them silver looking at all times? I hate how mine are rusty/dark looking when they started off being silver.

No, the shiny is the friction surface, pad contact/heat/use on a regular basis keeps it that way. Given a chance to sit they all surface rust. Drilled/dimpled rotors get it worse because now you have little pockets for rust to accumulate in.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thread revival here:

Anyone do the rear conversion on a 4th gen?