stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gatorpsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi and from time to time the truck stalls for no reason under 30 mph usually pulling into a parking space. The dealership didn't find any bad codes and listed it as "phantom stalling". The rpm's tend to fluctuate then stall. After you start the truck up again everthing is fine and might not happen for a week or two. Is this a vacuum leak?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to Ram Forum. I don't know what this could be, but somebody that might know will chime in soon.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Poss leak but that would normaly cause surging. Whats the mileage on the truck?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
It could be a vac leak, have you had the throttle body off lately or install any aftermarket intakes?

Also Does your cruise control work? And how are your brakes?

dodgeman70592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's the EGR. Had identical problem on my 04. Mine eventually threw a code but it took months. Replace the EGR and clean the metal return tube back to the intake with brakeclean. The EGR valve seem to be a problem on the 04's for some reason or another.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine's done this a time or two, but it was right after filling up with bad fuel. I should prolly check the EGR tho since it seems to be an issue

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Thank god I ditched the EGR system if those are fauly in the 04s. Mine didnt give me any issues but its no longer there.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So should we replace them? $40 for em....

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Idk cant say I had an issue with mine. Im supprised how quickly most codes pop on these that if its faulty at any point it wont pop the instant it has an issue.

Rogan68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins G56 DRW 4WD
Check your icv (idle control valve) its a common issue with the 5.2, 5.9 motors.

per Tapatalk on my EVO

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
mine stalls from time to time, but only if the engine is cold and im shifting from reverse to drive. but i rarely drive off before the truck warms up.

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did this too when it was cold. It ended up being low transmission fluid. I had changed my fluid about a month prior and apparently didn't put enough back in. Added 3 qts and haven't had an issue since.

CooCoo35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my 05 this past Wed and it just did it to me at a stop to make a left hand turn and no lights went off the radio and A/C was still on and working...I had to turn the key off and it started right back up again no problem...it has very high miles but lots of people are having the same issue and most have replaced the EGR Valve..I myself am going to try it...Even the code scanners are not picking anything up.. Grrrr :(

musclej

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 hemi 5.7
Are any of the check engine lights on. This happened to me with my kids in the truck, it just died and I lost power to the steering and all. I turned the key and bam back up and running. My check engine light is on and the guy that owned the truck before me said they diagnosed it with carbon build up. How can I fix the carbon build up. Thanks and btw I have a 2005 ram 1500 5.7 hemi it has 86,000 miles

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 08 stalled for the first time the other day was pulling into a store around 15 -20 mphn and locked up on me. didnt wanna fire after that, then after a few minutes it did. needed a new camshaft sensor 8-12 bux. and if u replacing that replace the crankshaft sensor with it thats like 20

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Are any of the check engine lights on. This happened to me with my kids in the truck, it just died and I lost power to the steering and all. I turned the key and bam back up and running. My check engine light is on and the guy that owned the truck before me said they diagnosed it with carbon build up. How can I fix the carbon build up. Thanks and btw I have a 2005 ram 1500 5.7 hemi it has 86,000 miles

New PCV for sure, run a group 4 or 5 synthetic, this will help clean the bottom end. Just having a new PVC and any oil will clean out gunk build up, but ester based oil will clean better. On the top end I'd try Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner, marvelous mystery oil, lucas upper cylinder lube, techron, all in your gas only none in crankcase. I would run a different one every tank and see if it helps. Redline is high end synthetic detergent, techron is a combo solvent, MMO is a napethenic solvent and added lubrication, and Lucas is just lubrication. The problem is not unique, this Ethanol in our gas is killing engines. Google ethanol damage and you likely have some of the same stuff going on. You need both different cleaners and lubrication, MMO and Lucas can be put in every tank and they are dirt cheap by the gallon. I'd run 8 ounces of both for a while with the techron, try redline too.