Straight pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I want to Straight pipe my 2004 Ram 1500. how i want to do it is simply just cut out the resonator and weld a pipe in its place. I'm doing this in hopes to making it sound better, good or bad idea. what are some disadvantages and benefits to doing this

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It’s gonna be loud as hell, if that’s what you want then great. There are a lot of good race style mufflers available that are loud but give you a better sound. Straight pipe is a cheaper way to get loud if that’s what you want

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I want to Straight pipe my 2004 Ram 1500. how i want to do it is simply just cut out the resonator and weld a pipe in its place. I'm doing this in hopes to making it sound better, good or bad idea. what are some disadvantages and benefits to doing this
--------------------------
How much do you like your neighbors and how much do you need them to tolerate you?

If you are thinking straight pipe from manifold to tail, you are going to be obnoxiously loud.

If you are under the impression the resonator is quieting a system with a muffler, you are misinformed.

Resonators are sized and shaped to attenuate a specific frequency or selected frequencies that cause drone inside the cab. They are not making your muffler equipped exhaust quieter--at least not enough to merit taking them off.

Now, if you have an aftermarket muffler, the frequencies may have been altered, but the resonators are still there for drone, not exhaust volume.

Its your truck & your decision...but decisions can have unwanted and sometimes expensive consequences.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like casper said. On that note, for many years i had a flow master 10 series muffler and also cut out the resonators for that and it was very loud. but with a stock muffler its a waste and with no muffler its gunna sound like dog crap

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Like casper said. On that note, for many years i had a flow master 10 series muffler and also cut out the resonators for that and it was very loud. but with a stock muffler its a waste and with no muffler its gunna sound like dog crap

Both to the OP and RamPortin1:

Mine is a muffler delete, with the resonator moved to its place and the stock tailpipe routed out the side in front of the rear tire.

Sounds pretty good. Quiet enough with cruise control and at idle. Not neighbor enragingly loud either way unless you're tenacious and persistent. Good quality of sound. Sounds like it should have come from the factory this way.

Stone-cold cold start with the passenger door half open is the ****!

EDIT:: Planning on sound clips this weekend. Check my build thread "One Inebriated Rodents' Ricer Rammer" for all of that, as well as my recent speaker install, again, posted some time Sunday.

Last edited:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It all comes down to personal taste. Worst that can happen is you cut it out, don’t like the sound and then go and get a muffler. If you are planning on some kind of an exhaust system, simply removing the muffler now won’t hurt anything. I had a loud muffler for awhile and got tired of it. Changed to a Borla and love it. YouTube has plenty of clips of any muffler you can buy, and there are a few threads on here dedicated to exhaust videos.

Last edited:

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
chrisp2493 is right, worst thing is you just change it again. If you wanna get a feel for how it sounds with a straight pipe cut it off and drive it around the block, if you love it fine, if you hate it, slap a muffler on that bad boy.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah I’ve changed my exhaust like 5 times until I got what I wanted

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It all comes down to personal taste. Worst that can happen is you cut it out, don’t like the sound and then go and get a muffler. If you are planning on some kind of an exhaust system, simply removing the muffler now won’t hurt anything. I had a loud muffler for awhile and got tired of it. Changed to a Borla and love it. YouTube has plenty of clips of any muffler you can buy, and there are a few threads on here dedicated to exhaust videos.
Did you go with just a muffler or a full exhaust from Borla?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk