T-56 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, to ease my mind because all of my research isn't paying off with the answers im seeking.

Can the T-56 Magnum be put into the 2005 2500 5.7 Quad Cab/Crew Cab successfully? I've seen forums saying it can but I have also seen forums saying it cannot. the bellhousing does not match up among other things. I can not get as in depth answers as I want so I figured I would go ahead and make the thread about it.

I want to convert my auto to manual so I am trying to figure out my path but I don't want the traditional slow/grindy/sloppy shifts like a tow truck would have. I'm leaning more towards race application which is why I am interested in the T-56.

Also, is there another transmission out there that is compatible if the T-56 is not that I can just replace some parts to have that firmer, more "racey" shifting? I don't know anything about transmissions.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The T-56 is not the ideal truck transmission. Granted there are some high HP T-56 rigs out there, they are not rated highly for torque. If I were doing a conversion it would be the 6060 not the T-56. But if you like that transmission, have the knowledge of whats inside is based on early 90's HP and Torque ratings you can get a bell housing adapter and clutch pedal and get to work. As well they do make a hydraulic clutch pedal kit, which I cant recommend enough, as the clutch you are going to want/need is going to be heavy.

You will need a stand alone for the engine, as if Im not mistaken the current PCM in your truck needs the transmission to act right. Without it the engine will not rev and will be in a constant limp mode.

So you need a bell housing adapter, stand alone engine management for the Hemi, and clutch pedal setup of your choice. Forgot custom drive shaft as well.

Oh and I hope you like 2wd, as a 4wd swap, I cant even fathom that nightmare.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They made 4wd power wagons with six speeds.. The getrag g56 or something like that.. I've seen the t56 in jeep wranglers with hemis powering them. Otherwise the 6060 would be the easiest swap I'd say

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Getrag/MB version of the G56 you're thinking of but actually, the NV5600 would be easily swapped in since that's what came with diesels and are stout!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To answer your question, yes, to give advice, No...

There are better suited manual transmissions to swap as noted. I have not done research on them but have heard that there are 5.7L megacabs or power wagons with manual trans but not 100% sure and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong... That would be your starting point if it was actually produce . You will need tuning and all the hard parts from that model truck equipped with a 5.7

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
06 to 08 I think are the only years the 2500s came with hemis and 6 speeds from the factory. My local dealer had an 06 powerwagon with a manual. It was awesome.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
06 to 08 I think are the only years the 2500s came with hemis and 6 speeds from the factory. My local dealer had an 06 powerwagon with a manual. It was awesome.

perfect...

@Tteal235 This would be the truck to search the junkyard for, it will probably be cheaper to buy the truck and resell what you don't use than to buy the parts direct. I have done something similar to this but on two diesels.. the Auto to manual was a success the manual to auto was way more complex...

The auto to manual we swapped over everything from steering column to foot pedal assembly. and all the clutch accessories. Also may need to do some wire tracing to make sure the ECM between the two have the same pins present, you may also need to swap over the body wire harness that connects at the bottom of the cab to be able to get the right connectors in a plug and play manner.
Then just have someone that can load programing for a manual trans vs a auto. That is a little more complex and over my head and why I had a buddy with StarScan do it all for me and set the programing and toggles and such.
It is possible just takes alot of work took me and a buddy about 40hrs to figure it all out with never doing it before.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate every bodies input! And the T-56 is definitely not set in stone. It was just the starting point I was told of. I'm open to anything but I was also told the G56's weren't able to handle a lot past stock power and would just start tearing stuff up when under stress. Like any engine/tranny without the right pieces I would assume.

Also, I know this will be hard but I'm always up for the challenge. At the same time though I'm always down for a cheaper method lol. My biggest concern is just that smooth, quick shifting. I want that. So if I gotta start pulling for all models in my generation (completely left the power wagon out of the picture for some reason) then I will. It allows me to learn more in the process.

If I choose one of the other trans than the T-56, will they also require a custom driveshaft? I knew the pcm would need to be swapped but what is the stand alone system you guys are mentioning? Never heard of that. And one last thing, my truck is a 4x4, is keeping it that way completely out of the question with any trans? Or just the T-56 because I did briefly read on that whole situation and how nightmarish it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The G56 can handle torque but I think what others have said is anything over 450-500 hp you'll grenade the internals. The NV5600 would handle more is a better, in many opinions, than the G56.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The G56 can handle torque but I think what others have said is anything over 450-500 hp you'll grenade the internals. The NV5600 would handle more is a better, in many opinions, than the G56.

Even with a shifter kit, they throws are miles long, hes looking for that 1.5 inch notchy feeling style sport shifter. The NV and G56 are long.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Even with a shifter kit, they throws are miles long, hes looking for that 1.5 inch notchy feeling style sport shifter. The NV and G56 are long.

Yea the shifts aren't great but in terms of ease, simplicity and cost, it'll swap in easily.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, even though money isn't the biggest issue because you can always save for what you want truly. END result will be pushing 600+ HP over time, and that sport shift, what am I looking at?

I'm going to assume the T-56 is out because honestly from yalls opinions among other forums and videos, that tranny seems too pricey for what it can't accomplish with my truck.

I've been looking at the NV5600 a little but that's still the slow shifting, someone mentioned the 6060 a few posts ago, what's the talk on that one? And honestly, couldn't I just start upgrading internals on say, the 5600 to get closer to my desires?

And again I appreciate everyone's input, it honestly helps me a lot. I learn something new every time I open this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The T-56 is not the ideal truck transmission. Granted there are some high HP T-56 rigs out there, they are not rated highly for torque. If I were doing a conversion it would be the 6060 not the T-56. But if you like that transmission, have the knowledge of whats inside is based on early 90's HP and Torque ratings you can get a bell housing adapter and clutch pedal and get to work. As well they do make a hydraulic clutch pedal kit, which I cant recommend enough, as the clutch you are going to want/need is going to be heavy.

You will need a stand alone for the engine, as if Im not mistaken the current PCM in your truck needs the transmission to act right. Without it the engine will not rev and will be in a constant limp mode.

So you need a bell housing adapter, stand alone engine management for the Hemi, and clutch pedal setup of your choice. Forgot custom drive shaft as well.

Oh and I hope you like 2wd, as a 4wd swap, I cant even fathom that nightmare.

I'll have to agree with all this except you can get your pcm flashed to a manual trans. It's been done before on other forums. A guy a few hrs from me t56 swapped his turbo hemi ram an had his orignal pcm flashed.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to agree with all this except you can get your pcm flashed to a manual trans. It's been done before on other forums. A guy a few hrs from me t56 swapped his turbo hemi ram an had his orignal pcm flashed.

What would something like that run me? I'm still learning about all that like with the ecu and stuff. I'm not good with the electrical aspect of things

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
All the t56 haters here

I've been running a t56 swap in my 392 2003 ram for a couple of years, besides some clutch problems (mostly my own fault) the trans has been rock solid.

There are many different t56 manuals, the one want is the Dodge ram srt10 viper truck t56 which came with the regular cab version.

Fun level on the street has gone through the roof since I swapped the manual in my truck!

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
What would something like that run me? I'm still learning about all that like with the ecu and stuff. I'm not good with the electrical aspect of things

I paid around 300 for a manual pcm I'd I'm not mistaken.

Belgiquebasterd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia 392
All the T56 haters on here :), the SRT10 ram came with a T56 so it can't be all that bad for a truck :). The T56 is more sport oriented where the stock 2500 manuals are more for 'work'.

I've been running a T56 on my 2003 392 quadcab for a couple of years.

The T56 is the old tremec transmission found in the mustang, camara, aston martins, corvette and most importantly for you if you want to go this route in the SRT10 Viper dodge ram truck. There are many differences within these transmissions with the car T56's having a smaller diameter main shaft, smaller yoke,... If you decide to go the T56 route make sure you get the srt10 truck one.

About the T56 magnum, I don't know so much about this but what I do know is that the T56 Magnum is the trans you can buy from tremec for aftermarket applications, the magnum is evolved from the old T56. The TR6060 is basically the same as the T56 magnum but that is what they call it when it comes OEM with a car/truck. I can also imagine but am not sure that there are many different types of the Tr6060 so if you go this route do your research well.

My truck is a 392 2003 stroker hemi, reason for going manual is that I absolutely hated the way the stock trans ran on the street.

I used:

- a viper srt 10 TRUCK (srt10 car version trans is different) T56
- quicktime bellhousing
- act twin disk clutch (runs great, but burns up when maneuvering a trailer in a garage uphill on a gravel driveway :) ask me how i know lol)
- Quicktime bellhousing
- generic T56 throwout bearing/***** cylinder, make sure you get the one with the bleed nipple, the versions without take ages to bleed. Als measure if you need to shim the throwout bearing before install.
-Wilwood mastercylinder
- SRT10 pedal assembly, bolts right in
- carbon fibre driveshaft (I run low profile tires, therefore the driveshaft rpm at high speed comes close to the max rpm allowed for an alu shaft)
- many more stuff i forgot

Build thread:

Tremec T56 trans - Hemi Truck Club

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to do some suspension work an t56 swap to this thing then hit the autocross with this big *****. With time..