T-Stat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Common Rail 24V Cummins TD
What is the difference between the different angles in a t-stat? I hear of 195°, 180° etc. also, which is better? I need to replace the radiator on my truck and while I do that I'm going to replace the t-stat but not sure which is best. Suggestions? Recommendations?

mudjunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thermostat angles ???? iv never herd of that before a 180° t stat means it opens at that temperature unless my vehicle tech course though me wrong

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha yeah mudjunky is right, it just means thats the degree that it opens at

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
im not too sure which one our trucks come with, i think a 200 or 210??. but generally, the 180 degree temp is ideal. a 160 is too cold and running an engine too cool is also not a good idea...the OEM's run the engine hotter with a higher temp thermostat, doing it that way reduces emissions, but can slightly decrease performance and engine longevity. so when swapping in a 180, I think a tuner is required, but not sure.

someone correct me if im wrong, but that is how i interpreted the thermostats of today...

mudjunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
dont take the way i said that as offensive i had a long day and honestly had to read that twice and think about the question
and yes as stated depending on your climate area a 180 t stat is perfect for a good running engine unless your in extreme cold or extreme heat its a happy middle it can actualy aid in performance if porperly tied in with other mods ei chip intake exhaust and a tb

and also correct a high op temp will cause engine to to generate less knox gasses but hinder performance because of tendancy to knock cause ecu to pulling timming again hindering performance slightly

and engine with to low of t stat will never reach op temp which will make cumbustion less efficiant cause vehicle to loose power and be very. none efficient (hard on fuel)

wow i have alot of time on my hands and
yes no toaster

Last edited:
OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Common Rail 24V Cummins TD
Ahhh I see. I never knew the difference. It's temp not angles. I'm an idiot. Haha. Sorry about that guys. Yea I might as well throw a 180 in there. Living in North Texas, ain't a bad idea.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
180 was in mine for awhile then a 170 for the past 2 years.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Cooler stat will also add timing, all is good as long as you don't get "slow to temp" dtc. The IAT "power wire" also plays into this as well. Adding resistance, lowers the signal value to PCM that the inlet air temp is lower than what it actually is. This also adds timing/fuel at wot. Note, on my truck with these mods I wasn't able to use the 93 octane canned tune without getting knock. I ended up using 93 octane gas and the 91 canned tune. Plus **** injection. Good luck