tapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i know this topic has been beaten to death all over the place, but i'll ask it here. What's the deal with the tapping noise these things make? I've seen people say its normal, it's not normal, it's just the nature of the noisy valvetrain.... Someone cut through the bs please!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's all true. It's normal for the hemi. It's not normal for most engines. It's just the nature of our sloppy valve trains. BS officially cut thru! lol

It's the infamous hemi tick and there seems to be no guaranteed fix. Some people change to synthetic oil and it goes away. Some guys use special pushrods. Some guys never get it....

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Frog hit the nail on the head. I have had the tick with the oem 5.7 rods with stock camshaft no matter which oil. Then had it with the 6.1 regrind with fordged cut rods, and still have a slight one with my current setup. The syn does help alill but is just the nature of these motors.

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
thanks guys, i didn't like the idea of spending $$$$ on a truck with problems. The way it drives, certainly doesn't feel like it's injured, but I had to ask. if i had a tapping noise on my fox, the motor would be apart by now.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
I sold my Jeep because of the Hemi Tick ... Mds ... no mds ... synthetic oil ... new plugs ... I couldn't find one clear way to get rid of it ... so I got fixed it the best way I knew....Sent it back to the dearer :D

I honestly don't know how you guys deal with it.

I'll keep my turbo spool :D

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sold my Jeep because of the Hemi Tick ... Mds ... no mds ... synthetic oil ... new plugs ... I couldn't find one clear way to get rid of it ... so I got fixed it the best way I knew....Sent it back to the dearer :DI honestly don't know how you guys deal with it.

I'll keep my turbo spool :D

I didn't know you were asian. :D

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
lol i didn't say anything but that's exactly what I thought! hans brix?!?!?! oh nooo!

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
smiley_emoticons_wallbash.gif smiley_emoticons_wallbash.gif I went back and fixed it once ... and apparently didn't do so well .... smiley_emoticons_wallbash.gif smiley_emoticons_wallbash.gif

It's early!!! I've had all of 4 sips of my coffee ... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it smiley_emoticons_kaffee.gif

OP
OP
S

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
no worries, my desktop at work is down so im using a laptop, can't type for **** on these. speaking of turbos, my neighbors across the street both have ctd's....damn i love the sound of those things, they have high flowing intake and exhaust so you can really em.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
I'm personally not a big fan of winter ... love looking out the window at the snow w/ a hot cup of coffee ... but dang it's COLD!

But I must admit I love how my truck sounds in the colder temps :D High Idle on ... Jake on ... 5 Inch exhaust .... whooooooossssshhhhh He loves singing his wake up song for me :D

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you have a Smarty 6 tuner I think you can make a lope tune for the truck to make it sound mean. Best sounding CTD I have heard is a buddy of mine with a 24 valve p-pumped truck, cam, head work, ringed, studded, bigger turbo with a stack. Before the p-pump is sounded good but now it racks back and forth at idle... need a napkin thinkin of it.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
The "lope" that comes w/ the Smarty is from guys running the TNT tune who have done a cam job normally. With the CR 5.9's the lope is harder to get than w/ the older 5.9's and 12v's.

Personally every time I hear one I think there is an injector mis-fire.

I am not building a race or sled truck. He is my daily driver who has gotten just a little love in all the right places. I have the utmost respect for the guys who can drop $30k in parts into their trucks and turn them into those mean machines. I just don't have the need to do it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yeah there is alot more money in that truck then I would think bout dropping in it. Were all waiting for it to blow, 60 psi boost with a block with a welded crack...

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I hope I don't curse myself but my truck had the tick on a rare occassion back when it was new. It has always had synthetic oil and regular maintenance, so with that said nothing mechanical has been changed so the only varible would be the lifters. I would think if it were push rods, rocker arms or cam related it would be a consistent problem.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Greg if you do a cam swap on your truck check out the drivers side exhaust push rods and see if any has any markings. Only one of mine had but it was nothing different about it and measured the exact same as the others. Thats the only thing I could say other then its normal.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Greg if you do a cam swap on your truck check out the drivers side exhaust push rods and see if any has any markings. Only one of mine had but it was nothing different about it and measured the exact same as the others. Thats the only thing I could say other then its normal.

Will do, I intend to pull it apart in the spring.
Thanks for the heads up.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
..at about 200k and she ticks just like the first day i got her... no worries here or it woulda crapped out by now...