Thinking of a new setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
So I've been throwing around a few ideas lately thinking about getting a few new parts and redoing my current exhaust setup.

My first thought was to pick up two raceland cutouts and mount them behind the cats just after the rear O2's with a turn down on each and move the ORY back a little further. This would be loud as **** with the LT's, but I kind of would like to have the extra deep sound from the open headers. Now from past expiriences with my old DMH cutout, my times started to suffer after the LT's were on to the point that I was getting much better results from the XR-1 instead of using the cutout and ended up selling it so a dual setup might not be that great even with the addition of the comp 268 and tune.

My second thought was to just get 1 cutout and a turn down use it when I am wanting to be loud however if memory serves me correctly the XR1 is just as loud, just not as deep.... Trying to think back to when I had them both.... So I dont know if I want to do that.

My third thought is to pick up an X pipe and a second XR-1 and run a true dual setup. Issue there is that it would be a full 3" system and although I know it will sound amazing, from everything that I have read/researched the dual 3" piping might cause more harm than good when it comes to ET's....

So what should I do?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Choice 1 seems like a waste of money. If you are getting better times without cutouts, then the only use for them is loudness. If that is what you are going for then choice one seems like a lot of expense in the form of two cutouts and time in revamping the system to accommodate the cutouts just to get some loudness.

Choice three sounds like it would be a sweet setup but I have heard people talk about loss of performance when running a full 3" true dual setup.

Out of the choices you gave, number two sounds like it would give the best results. You would get the loudness of the cutout (it will be louder than your muffler) while maintaining the performance that you want from your truck.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^ I agree. I think #2 would give you the best results. #3 might not be bad either since you will have a good size cam and RC, not the extra weight of a QC or 4x4, so it may make up for the lack of low end with the gain in the upper range.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'd personally go with option 3, but only cause that's what Im currently running, and I absolutely love it! Sounds great, performs amazingly, and with bigger mods in the works, Ill need all the 3" I can get... LOL

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I think Im just going to get a single raceland cutout, mount it right after the Y and add a turn down onto it.

Got another issue though that I am sure what I am going to do with though. My trans feels like its slipping on upshifts. Not to sure if its because of the Tune or if its because of the converter but it started on Sunday night and just doesn't feel right. Not sure if I want to unload the DSP's trans settings and see if that works cause the stock shifts dont feel to good as they are or if I want to grab a 3865 and try that and snag a SCT to do a custom tune for the 268 or not or drop the pan and check everything and make sure that the converter is not at fault.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
What is your current trans converter and valve body set up? If you want to run truw duals you should run a H pipe to equalize the pressure butter then the X pipe.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
What is your current trans converter and valve body set up? If you want to run truw duals you should run a H pipe to equalize the pressure butter then the X pipe.

The Converter is a 2800 Stall APS converter, been in there about a year and a half now with no issues til lately, and the VB is stock. The temps are welll within what they normally are.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
How many miles are on the trans over all and how many on the verter?

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Just rolled over 72k and the converter has probably 9k on it. Did a full flush on the trans when we did the veter along with new filters, checked it last night and everything looks good, fluid is the right color, no signs of burning, no leaks, filled up to the right level when hot, temps are right around 160* which is a little higher than normal by about 5* but it always runs a little hotter over the summer.

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
It might just be a band aid to get you by but the transgo hd shift kit will hold the clutches tighter and help out.

okarche_TA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True duals don't have a H or X in them just throwing that out there.

kay9

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
xxxx
Engine
xxxx
True but X or H will provide a balance flow and back pressure which is something our trucks love.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine

Yeah... I wish these people would stop this false advertisement. :D
Hell, even I'm always getting this wrong...LOL.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowmaster/Flowmaster-True-Dual-Exhaust-Systems/769291/10002/-1

Truckin, that's a good question. I'm not sure which would be best. If I were doing cut outs I would want to mount them in front of the cats. Or is that not a good idea? Not sure how they hold up to the fire.

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yes a true dual straight pipe does not have an x or a y.... but to get the best out of these trucks you need that to help balance the flow some. Truckin knows what he is doing I have just seen alot of people perform better with an H pipe to equalize the tubes.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Truckin, that's a good question. I'm not sure which would be best. If I were doing cut outs I would want to mount them in front of the cats. Or is that not a good idea? Not sure how they hold up to the fire.

If it wasn't for it throwing a code I would. When we fired up the truck with just the LT's on an nothing else to heat everything up so we could tq them down, the sound coming off of it was insane. We fired up my friends harley as well cause his pipes are LOUD to compare the two and there was no contest. My neighbors hated me though cause it was like 11pm on a friday night lol

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine

I never said I wanted it straight piped... As said before the X and H pipes balance out the exhaust flow, althogh I have heard better results with the X over the H... but my concern here is the 3" dia piping.

Last edited:

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Oh Yeah!! Nothing like uncapped headers!!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Truckin you have a cam already correct or getting a 268 I cant remember. If you have or are getting the 268 I would PM Sam aka Sawcut64 and see what he ran with his, yalls trucks are the same minus he had BV heads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock