Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thought I would share my experience over the weekend. Noticed the truck was a little hesitant when leaving the light so I decided to take a look at the TB. Removed the air box and notcied that it had an enormous amount of gunk and buildup. Unplugged the wiring connector and removed the four 8mm bolts and off she came.

Cleaned the buildup off with some mineral spirits and a small soft bristle brush. While it wes off I decided to take the dremel and do some further "cleaning up" by polishing the entire inside opening and throttle blade. Only took about an hour or so to smooth it out. Recleaned and reinstalled. I noticed a difference this morning as throttle response is much better and no hesitation. I know I will step up to a fastman TB for performance later but for now, it was worth the 90 minutes I spent on the truck. Best thing it didnt cost me a dime since I already had the polish and dremel. :birgits_tiredcoffee Even if you dont have a dremel, make sure to keep it clean on a regular basis and you wont be dissapointed. Did this on my wife's van and made a big difference too. :)

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have been hearing about the oil accumulation in the intake on these hemi's. May have to look into installing one. The residue was somewhat tacky.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yup big difference once you clean the gunk off :D

I have a ported one on mine, but when I took the OEM one off I was amazed at all the buildup!

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Catch cans are impossible on 3rd gens, they have a internal PCV system, different than 4th gens. I do agree keeping the TB clean and inspecting on a regular basis is a great thing for how your truck runs. I just did mine and although it wasn't that dirty it runs tons better.

OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. Scott. Learning something new everyday about the 5.7 :)

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I dunno about fastmans, but I have a ported TB from 3rdstrikeperformance, our vendor. It made a big difference in throttle response for SURE

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Had a Eastman on mine for a long time before taking it off due to idle issues with the cam. It is a very nice mods that adds a bit more pep to your intown driving.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good info. This is something I want to do when mine hits 50k which isn't too far away. Sounds like she'll benefit alot from it.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
One thing I will suggest, and this is solely based on my opinon on how mine worked, aviod the knife edge option on the plate it if is offered. My truck ran like CRAP with it like that. I know there are some than ran perfect but mine would buck and jump with the slightest tap of the gas. Im talking to the point that driving home in rush hour if you tapped the gas you ran the risk of ending up in the back seat of the car in front of you. Had to leave a 20ft gap between my truck and the next car so when traffic started moving I could tap the gas just a smidge and wouldnt have to worry to much about hitting the other car.

Made it a beast off the line though going WOT, talk about a race car. you hit the gas and you were gone.

Sent it back and got one with the reg plate and all was well til I cam'd it then there were more issues.

hawk02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Viper 8.3l 505ci 10cyl
are the fastmans worth it?

I think so, I've had one on for about two years that was ported, polished, knife edged, with the half shaft mod from Dan and I love it.