Throttle Body Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ares_288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
Here's a quick how to on cleaning your throttle body to rediscover some lost power. It's a pretty simple task. This is on my 2004 1500 5.7Hemi

You'll need:
Gloves
Protective eyewear
Brake cleaner
Lint free rags
8mm socket and wrench
Whatever is required for you air intake, my K&N happens to only need the 8mm socket:)
11uaqro.jpg

First you need to remove your intake to clear the way

27zeofr.jpg

Next you'll need to disconnect the cable at the top of your throttle body.
You'll then go ahead and grab your 8mm socket and in a crisscross pattern unbolt the bolts. Go slow and make sure to keep those bolts secure. The throttle body will come off as soon as you get the last bolt off, so be ready!

qqango.jpg

Once it's off take it to a worktable and get your gloves and cleaning supplies ready. Remember there is an electronic connector on this that is very sensitive so don't just go spraying away. Spray some Brakecleaner onto your rag and get to wiping.

before
1p6m9t.jpg

after
dphiip.jpg

Once it's clean, just reverse the steps!

fnv43d.jpg

Last edited:

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't forget to do a reset.

THROTTLE BODY RESET PROCEDURE

If the throttle body has been replaced, or removed, cleaned, and reinstalled, the following procedure must be performed:

a. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery. Leave cable disconnected for approximately 90 seconds.

b. Reconnect negative battery cable to battery.

c. Turn ignition switch ON, but DO NOT crank engine.

d. Leave ignition switch ON for a minimum of 10 seconds. This will allow PCM to learn throttle body electrical parameters.

e. Turn ignition switch to OFF.

f. Turn ignition switch to START position, crank engine normally.

OP
OP
Ares_288

Ares_288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
Yes, the reset is very imporrant! I had the procedure typed up but went to sleep before posting it.