Ticking Hemi. "HEMI TICK"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
ok so my truck has been "ticking" very loud on a cold start.

i posted before about this issue but since then i have learned more about whats going on....

this is the old post. http://www.ramforum.com/f44/who_has_hemi_tick-63808/

i have discovered today the ticking doesn't go away. it just gets very quite. once the temp reaches 185-190 coolant... the tick noise is not noticeable from standing next to the truck. i went through the drive through for lunch and could hear it off the wall.... i got back home and listened again and couldn't hear it....

this has me very confused.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just be happy yours goes away when it warms up. Mine ticks all day every day lol

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Just be happy yours goes away when it warms up. Mine ticks all day every day lol

I've noticed mine does too but i can only hear it loud on a cold start. i noticed the other day at the drive through i could hear it. came home and crawled under it and its there still. much much quite but its their....ugh

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has a tick all of the time...really noticeable at the drive through window. Dealer said it is normal (of course) maybe VVT or injectors? Not sure but hope it is normal!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is yours or anyone you know tick this loud on cold....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdsBYjti-CIMI7nE6Uqn0uw

Yours sounds like it's coming from the same area as mine which is near the bellhousing area

It's aggrivating that so many vehicles these days make so many noises that are considered "normal". I have a 15 year old accord with 200k miles as a daily and you can't hardly even hear that thing running. Yet my 20k+ dollar truck with less than 40k miles sounds like it has a jacked up lifter lol

Last edited:

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I had a ticking noise in mine too, I took it to the dealer and they said I had a smoothed cam and the lifter was ticking. I called today and they said that the engine is in pieces. Here is a link to my post. http://www.ramforum.com/f44/smoothed_cam-65505/
If its still under the power train warranty I would take it in and have it looked at.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
So I had a ticking noise in mine too, I took it to the dealer and they said I had a smoothed cam and the lifter was ticking. I called today and they said that the engine is in pieces. Here is a link to my post. http://www.ramforum.com/f44/smoothed_cam-65505/
If its still under the power train warranty I would take it in and have it looked at.

thanks for your reply... what exactly does a smoothed cam mean..? how long was yours ticking before you took it in? did your tick keep getting louder and louder?

mine is past all warranties. i have about 112 thousand miles on it and counting.. its a work truck. i have logged a bit over 5.5 thousand highway miles with this ticking sound... so far its not getting louder or worse.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Normally the roller rolls when hit by cam lobe and the lifter lifts, but if the lifter is sticking something has to give. You can crush the roller, smooth the cam, or break the lifter. The cam hits the roller portion of the lifter seen below, if the lifter is sticking the cam lobe will wear because the roller is only designed to protect the cam in a properly functioning lifter.

chrysler-hemi-multi-displacement-system-lifter-photo-220678-s-787x481.jpg

Ffemtanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 5.7 with 57000 Miles. I’ve had this going on for a few thousand miles. Finally got in to the dealer after it wasn’t going away. Almost sounds like a pin hole exhaust leak at the header when cold, then disappears when warm. Have an appointment next week. I’ll post update with dealer interpretation

Legend1452

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2006 4.7 has been doing this ever since I can remember, I got it in 07, I finally broke down and decided to go to the parts store and get some additive to see if it would quiet it down. It is always a loud ticking on warm or cold start but stops after a few minutes can't hear it at all. The guy at the parts store told me it would not do any good to put any additive into the motor that the Dodges just do this, that they came from the factory like this. It still doing the same thing now 2017 and nothings broke down so far.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A piece of crud either from manufacturing debris or oil deposits could potentially work their way into the lifter bearings and prevent the roller from spinning as free as it needs to. Maybe that's why they recommend synthetic oil? A higher quality lube, superior additive package (in theory) which generally keeps engines cleaner inside and therefore potentially reduces the incidence of stuck rollers. Just a thought...

Last edited: