Is it time for me to rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dat_HEMI_Tho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 SLT 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
Bought a 2003 ram 1500 HEMI for $3000 with 215,000 on the odometer :/. Mostly has been used for towing and driving on the highway. I've had it sitting outside for about a couple weeks or so and when i started it up it started puffing quite a bit of white smoke. Also I get a whopping 8.2 miles to the gallon according to the display. Engine sounds alright, aside from the typical tick HEMIs are supposed to have. Anyways, I'm a kid so I want to hop it up :D but would it be a good idea to rebuild it first?. Mostly been looking at exhaust, vararam intake, chip etc. as far as upgrades go.

89gtcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
White smoke typically indicates burning coolant, which would imply bad head gaskets. Do a leakdown/compression test and post up the results.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Condensation is typical for a cold startup, but should disappear when the exhaust is up to temperature. As mentioned it needs a compression check to help determine it's health. Do a little searching and you will see plenty of upgrades that are typically done.