Timing on a 4.7 SOHC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Common Rail 24V Cummins TD
Okay, so I replaced my drivers side cam the other day and while putting the sprocket back on the cam the chain slipped off of the crank a little bit. Now that I've got it all put back together my truck won't run. Now it needs to be retimed. I don't know how. Has anyone ever messed with this? Should I just take it to a shop and let them deal with it..? If it isn't real tedious or meticulous I can do it myself, but if you need all kinds of machines/special tools I ain't gonna mess with it. Does anyone know how to time these motors?

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a service manual for an 06 that will give you step by step directions, although its an 06 the engine is the same. Pm me your email address and I can send it to you. Did you not use the wedge tool to keep the tension on the chain? I do know you have to remove the entire front timing cover and all components connected. It's not going to be an easy job but setting the timing is pretty straight forward. You will need a chrysler harmonic balancer puller and installer, and you will have to compress the timing chain tensioners and pin them prior to install. If your truck has high mileage I would recommend replacing the entire timing chain set.

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Common Rail 24V Cummins TD
Good grief. Well, the chain slipped a few teeth. What I did was use a flat tip to wedge underneath the cam gear. I also zip tied the gear to the chain. While putting the gear back on the new cam, it jumped teeth. So, now I need to pull everything off the front just to get to it. Harmonic balancer, ps pump, probably the alternator, etc etc.

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes sir. Pm me your email and i will send you a service manual so you can see what all its going to take. Or i can just copy the text and put it on here but you wont get the pictures, and pictures can sometimes be more helpful than words.

Younghope2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish you were around me just did my chains and crap and the same thing happened to me and I did some crazy trick that my friend is working on his truck right know.... It's hard for me to explain but all timing mark always line back up perfectly, so if you turn the main crank the head cam will turn and I for get how long it took me but I end up getting my driverside and main back to 0 time and just played with the other till I had it..... Going back to tdc is always better but I only took valve covers and belt off......

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish you were around me just did my chains and crap and the same thing happened to me and I did some crazy trick that my friend is working on his truck right know.... It's hard for me to explain but all timing mark always line back up perfectly, so if you turn the main crank the head cam will turn and I for get how long it took me but I end up getting my driverside and main back to 0 time and just played with the other till I had it..... Going back to tdc is always better but I only took valve covers and belt off......

How did you change your timing chains without removing the timing cover?

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This note is from the service manual.

CAUTION: Do not forcefully rotate the camshafts
or crankshaft independently of each other. Damaging
intake valve to piston contact will occur.
Ensure negative battery cable is disconnected to
guard against accidental starter engagement.

Younghope2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This note is from the service manual.

CAUTION: Do not forcefully rotate the camshafts
or crankshaft independently of each other. Damaging
intake valve to piston contact will occur.
Ensure negative battery cable is disconnected to
guard against accidental starter engagement.

There is a point when the intake and exhaust valves are completely close which is really close for it to meet the timing mark, I'm not saying to do this but it was how I did it..... I had the chain off the side I was working on and put the pistons all away before #1 starts to get to tdc, than I went from there.... There is a lot of checking and checking so you don't bend valves..... And having a friend there help a lot, had the other set of hands rotating the cam with no chain than got it to the close position and than you don't have to worry about the valves and you can put the main and side that didn't go off time back to full tdc... My truck has 260000 miles and I'm the third owner and the 2nd had it at 80000 miles and all I need is it to make it to Maine than I'll be doing a full engine rebuild this spring.