Timing Chain Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjbockemehl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I have a 05 Dodge 1500 w/ 4.7L. I am going to be replacing my head gaskets in a few weeks. I am unsure if I need to replace my timing chains or not. I am not very familiar with timing chains. I have replaced head gaskets in other vehicles and have just gone ahead a replaced the timing belts while it is taken apart, but never chains. Can anyone give me any advice on this. Oh there is 111,000 on the truck and motor. I am not hearing any weird noises at all when it is running cold or hot.

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A close friend of mine is a mechanic and tells me that kms alone may not be the best indicator of the health of a timing chain. Oil change history is much more important. If oil changes have been on time and with proper oil than the timing chain should be fine. Haynes manual gives instructions on how to inspect the timing chain and the assembly with it. Hope this helps.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If its got over 100k or Close to it id change them all 3 sprockets too Cause if the 4.7 jumps time you will be doing a valve/head job too cause valves will hit piston if it jumps time

Crank sprocket
Idler Sprocket
Left/Right cam Sprocket
Primary Chain
2 Secondary Chains
Full Set Run 400 To 500 dollars for full set

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely replace them and the tensioners. That's not something you want to reuse when dealing with a top end rebuild.