Too cold to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 05 ram 2500 hemi. I'll start by saying that it is 0* here. Tried starting my truck all morning and it just won't start. Had the battery tested and it was "bad". Replaced battery. Still won't start. Cranks and cranks and cranks but won't fire. It'll hit every few tries but won't fire. Checked all fuses and relays. Full tank of gas 2 days old. Possibly just too cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
0 degrees shouldn't bother it, last winter my truck would start easily in -30*C temps

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not on this truck, but I had a fuel line freeze in the past. It turned out that there was a little water in the filter from some bad gas.

Ray

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
You're only a couple degrees warmer than us haha, and yesterday was damn close to -60*C windchill

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you hear the injectors priming with you turn the key just before start? If you can, I would think it is a spark plug or coil issue. If you can't, I would start with either the injectors or a fuel line issue. Good luck.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
It's 5 here in OKC, -10 windchill, Ram starts just fine, my old ass on the other hand....

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In a coil on plug system like this, where do I check for spark?

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Check if it's getting spark. If it is, give her a shot of ether.

I wouldn't suggest this...

-20 here for the past two mornings and no problems. Not too cold to start but you obviously have an issue.

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't suggest this...

-20 here for the past two mornings and no problems. Not too cold to start but you obviously have an issue.

Thanks for the link! It fired up the next morning whe the wind chill wasn't -30. Had a lot of thick white smoke and a lean bank dtc for both sides. Fuel must have frozen.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
You're only a couple degrees warmer than us haha, and yesterday was damn close to -60*C windchill

FWIW windchill has no effect on a cold vehicle.

I vote for frozen gas line. Last time it happened to me I opened the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and there was no pressure release, so I spent about 15 minutes with a hair dryer on the fuel line under the car. It then fired right up.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
isoheat or some other fuel additive arnt bad to have. Saved my gasser work truck more times then I can count. Fuel filters like to catch water. Also even more so in the winter time, dont fill your truck up when they are fillings the gas stations tanks. All the water thats been sitting gets mixed up with fuel.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
OK! Third Gen, If you are under half a tank of fuel try the following, Put in a bottle of Gas line antifreeze in your tank and wait 30 minutes, then try and start it, if you have a condensation issue up front it will work its way towards the freeze and thaw it out within normally 20 minutes on a midsized vehicle. If you have spark along with this procedure you should then get fuel and it will start. It all depends on where you live and the quality of fuel along with how much you carry during cold weather. I never allow mine to go below half. Lastely when it goes from mild to cold in a hurry and stays cold for a few days thats when you get in trouble.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Good she is running mine is fine until about -25F and then it starts to become iffy if it is colder. I need to get a block heater in but I am not a fan of going out in cold to work on it in my garage.

$miley

LETHAL GTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW windchill has no effect on a cold vehicle.

You have any idea how many times I try to explain to people this exact same thing.
-30 is -30 even if the windchill is -95!
The only effect the wind chill has on a vehicle or any other inanimate object is that the colder the windchill the faster it cools to -30 duh.