TorqStorm Supercharger update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
Didn't see this before, but AJ from Arrington/True Street Performance (AJ hemi from the LX forums) is doing my tuning.

I didn't know or not if AJ was still going to tune your truck since he's no longer with Arrington. Glad he is though and happy to see your in good hands.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Yea I didn't go through Arrington for the tune. My buddy is an Inertia installer and very active member over on the LX forums. He is the one who recommended I contact AJ and True Street Performance about the tune. They also happen to be 15 min from his place so even though they are his competition he knows that AJ is good at what he does.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Just a quick update, the truck seems to be running a little better on the base tune. Shop cancelled on me for tmw with the dyno tune but moved me to Friday. Should have everything set by then. Saturday we do the intercooler and then she'll be done!
...well until the new trans goes in lol

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Just curious why you don't do the intercooler first then you won't need to tune it again afterwards when yo have a denser air charge and need to adjust the fuel trim again.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Just curious why you don't do the intercooler first then you won't need to tune it again afterwards when yo have a denser air charge and need to adjust the fuel trim again.

We didn't have time. This Saturday is the first chance we will have to fab that up. I plan on having them tune a little rich so that the intercooler leans it back out but I don't expect much of a change.

Also the dyno has been moved to Friday. Something came up and AJ won't be around tomorrow so I'll have to wait a couple more days.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
So for today's update:

Went to True Street only to find out the dyno wasn't working. Instead AJ was able to revise the base tune and make the truck drivable. We found out the problem with everything was that I had a wire loose in the MAP sensor and it was reading 30 barometric pressure, or in other words, I was driving 4000 ft below sea level! Hahaha.

We fixed the issue and I can now drive the truck around which is awesome.

The intercooler is going on on Tuesday next week and then next Friday I'll be going back to finish tuning on the dyno. After that it should be smooth sailing.

So far the truck pulls like a motherf***er. I'm being really gentle on it since it's still not fully tuned but sometimes even just trying to accelerate slowly it jumps up to 3k rpms and takes off like a bat outta hell. I can't wait for it to be dialed in.

I've been talking with Mike from L&M and I'll probably be headed there in a couple weeks to have him build my trans so that I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Overall it was a pretty good day!

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Intercooler Update!

So we got the intercooler put on today. My buddy had alot of extra piping/couplers/clamps left over from a previous custom intercooler setup so we started with that to see if we could fit something together. Luckily for us we ended up not having to cut anything. We wiggled and worked and within a couple hours we had everything hooked up the way we wanted. I need to run out and buy 1 extra coupler but that is because one spot is a little more bent than we'd like. Everything is bolted together now though and it runs. It does get a little lean at times when idling and it has stalled out on me a few times but nothing I don't think the final tune wont fix. I'm all set to see AJ on Friday to finally get the truck on the dyno and finish the tune. After that I'll be good to go until the new trans gets put in.

Here is what we started with
20141230_110708.jpg

Here's some other angles
20141230_124937.jpg

20141230_133204.jpg

20141230_133217.jpg

20141230_133156.jpg

We figure once I do the efan mod and we get some extra space under the hood we will probably change a little bit of the piping. Instead of having the "S" curve around the oil dipstick we will run a straight piece from the intake manifold and then angle it down. It will look cleaner and probably flow a little better. Once that is done I'll also be getting a quote from Hellbent Race Cars & Customs about doing a full piping setup without the couplers. My buddy has used them before and they do great work. We will see about that one.

Anyways, I can already tell the truck pulls like crazy and once it's finished being tuned I'll be able to comment more about just how much it does. Friday is the day!

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
Lookin good. Too bad you can't wait longer for a transmission. I can build what Mike does for around a grand. My new design less core should come in under 2k.

StaLL1oN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 1500 Quad cab SLT 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to see a video of it running!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Just wanted to throw out a quick update as I'm at the shop. We just finished the dyno and are about to do some driveability tuning.

We made 407 at the wheels.

Once I'm finished and I get home I'll post a video and some pictures.

StaLL1oN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking forward to seeing some videos!!

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
So now that I've had time to get home and everything here is what we got.

Took the truck to the dyno today and things went great. At first we weren't seeing any boost and we thought there was a vacuum leak. But we figured out I just didn't have the SC tensioner tight enough. Once that was fixed we made a couple more pulls and that was it.

We saw 407 rwhp and 400 ft/lbs

We then took the truck off the dyno and did some driveability tuning. Took the truck out and worked on it. Did a few more laps and whatnot. Once that was finished I was good to go.

The truck runs great now! Next up, the trans!

Here's some pics on the dyno and a video of the 407/400 pull.

20150102_110732.jpg

20150102_110715.jpg

20150102_105955.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2FKTYvu7H0

Overall I have to say I'm quite impressed with the numbers. I thought I was being optimistic in thinking I could reach over 400 whp. Apparently I wasn't. I think that for the money it was worth it but I wish the kit had been R&D'd better. For '04-'08 Rams you have to buy and EGR block off AND machine it down to .094" AND drill a hole in the mounting bracket that lines up with the EGR valve hole. You also have to get a different BOV. TorqStorms doesn't work right. I've talked with them about it and they say it's supposed to work the way it does (which isn't conducive to how a SC works). I believe an intercooler is a must with this kit and there is plenty of space to set one up. If you're willing to go through the right hoops this kit will pay off.

I'll be calling TorqStorm either tomorrow or Monday to let them know about the numbers and the setup and everything. Hopefully they can make some changes if anyone else wants to go along with this kit too.

I want to thank my buddy Mike Galiano (PRPLHAZE on the LX forums) of Extreme Mopar Performance in Long Island for putting up with all the ******** we came across with this kit. He really does go above and beyond to make sure things work right. He's become a friend more than a mechanic over the last year. I recommend anyone in the NY/NJ area to contact him if you want any work done on your truck/car. He's the only guy I use now.

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
407hp/440tq. Those are some respectable gains.

StaLL1oN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
... Jealous.. To say the least!

Very nice man glad all hard work paid of congrats x10000000

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
407hp/440tq. Those are some respectable gains.

I wish it was 440 tq lol

Though I probably would've needed the trans yesterday if that had been the case haha

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many lbs you runnin?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm guessing that would make for driving fun on the street...