Torque converter help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys Im thinking about putting on a new torque converter. The topic was touched on a little in a previous thread, but what do you guys know about these things? Do they work for everyone, or are they a hit and miss? Also what is a good brand to go with? And how much HP will this thing unlock?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Works Ok for me.

It increases torque for sure cause way back when I installed mine with only 3.55 gears and 33 procomps I could not spin my tires at all before then after I could spin them. Depending on stall selected, when your cam comes in and gears will determine overall performance. With mine if I try to accelerate at say half throttle from around 30 MPH i can get some shuttering action for first few seconds or until i smooth out at arond 40-50 MPH.

I have the TCI Breakaway and there is still very little feedback info out there.
At 2600 stall I am still able to Tow decently.

Used to have a photo-album of the Job I did from stem to stern with about 30 Pics but have deleted them along with Cam Job for personal reasons. I won't boast that I rock as a DIY Mechanic but can say it was a fairly easy task and took about 8 hrs to do (4x4) with some coffees, chat and some smoking breaks.

My 2 cents as some folks will recommend the edge set-up too which I heard is real good.

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Danny is the tci one you as an end user can change or does it have to be sent to them to change the stall?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Mine is an aps 2800 stall, very streetable, very good street manners, definitely a feelable gain. I did mine after my gears but before my cam and I like it a lot.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When it says.... 2600 stall, wat does that mean in English lol. Wat does the stall do?? I know nothing about transmissions lol

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
swamp_life hemi 05 said:
When it says.... 2600 stall, wat does that mean in English lol. Wat does the stall do?? I know nothing about transmissions lol

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!

X2!

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that means that its looser up to that 2600 rpm point, when it starts to lock up. thus it lets your engine rev up to its optimum powerband more easily and you will get quicker launches. the other benefit from then as stated before, is that they are more efficient than a stock TC, they can free up to 14% of the parasitic HP loss.

personally i have an Edge 2600 stall and i love it. ive never used any other brand other than edge, but i will always stick with them due to the outstanding customer service i have received from them.

edit: check out the DIY http://www.ramforum.com/f76/diy-torque-converter-install-196/

Last edited:
OP
OP
moodygunner

moodygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK then if i get the torque converter installed is there anything that might get damaged due to the upgrade? or do i need to upgrade other components as well? I'm new to vehicle mechanics...

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would HIGHLY suggest running some sort of aftermarket cooling if you are going to run a high stall converter. be it a deep/finned aluminum tranny pan, or a larger cooler (26 row cooler would be ideal). i personally run both the pan and the large cooler, but i tow heavy loads quite a bit, and live in temperate weather. that setup would be overkill for someone who lives in a cold climate. my tranny rarely sees 150. it only got up to just a hair over 180 towing a 9000lbs+ trailer over a large mountain with long and steep grades.

the TC itself runs about $500 or so.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
ORT is selling a brand new Circle D 2800-3k for $350 + shipping.
Same one listed here.
http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-68-dodge-11-hp-i-545rfe-torque-converter.aspx

Very happy with both my Edge TC products and Andre's customer service has been exceptional. Both the 2800 and current 3400 provides nice street manners while driving but hold on when you put down the pedal from idle.

Just gotta find one that compliments your current and future plans which any brand can assist you over the phone.

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
i would HIGHLY suggest running some sort of aftermarket cooling if you are going to run a high stall converter. be it a deep/finned aluminum tranny pan, or a larger cooler (26 row cooler would be ideal). i personally run both the pan and the large cooler, but i tow heavy loads quite a bit, and live in temperate weather. that setup would be overkill for someone who lives in a cold climate. my tranny rarely sees 150. it only got up to just a hair over 180 towing a 9000lbs+ trailer over a large mountain with long and steep grades.

the TC itself runs about $500 or so.

Exactly, do a larger trans cooler, and I would also reccomend doing a trans temp gauge as well so you can keep an eye on it. Mine has barely totouchd 170* in the middle of the summer

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i believe he is running the same OEM 26 row as me. it was only found in 2003 3500 gassers. hard to come by, but not impossible.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i have a 2600 patc. yes there was a gain there but i wasnt that impressed. i know i dont have the same trans as you guys, but just thought i would give my opinion. would i do it again. probably. i called and talked to them before i purchased it too. told them my mods i had and what else i was gonna do. and thats what they recommended.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
i believe he is running the same OEM 26 row as me. it was only found in 2003 3500 gassers. hard to come by, but not impossible.

The 2500s have them too, its the 03s and 04s had them, in 05 the switched to a shorter wider aluminum one because people in cold climates were getting errors because they were running to cold.

I picked mine up from the dealer (special order part)

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Ill have to see, been a few years since I last looked it up