TPS reading on OBDII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Ok so I got a OBDII digital gauge today & noticed the TPS does not 0% out or 100% out.

Mine reads closed 11.4% & maxes out @ 74%
is this normal???

The truck idles ok & accelerates ok Also starts good.

I don't know if this is normal or if I need to reset the TPS.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
It shouldn't go to 0 during normal operation. It needs to be open some, typically 10-15% to maintain idle. It should however read up to 99% at wot. With a quality scanner you can monitor very small incremental increases, a cheap one may not be as accurate.

OP
OP
HeavyD

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Ill check it when I get my superchips, but don't think it would be different.

But the low end would be fine according 10 - 15%.

Its just my Pontiac was 1% closed & 98% open.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I read some articles ont he topic and it is expected that the TPS will never show 0 or 99%+

I also have a 4.7 and mine reads 9.8% at idle and 75% at WOT, which from my readings is what should be expected.

Considering you read 11.4% to 74% I would say this is pretty standard readings. You may want to check you TPS position and voltage readout with a multi-meter to see if it is providing proper readings. Also many people have added a ground wire from the TB to the Battery Negative to improve electrical signal. This will help especially if your grounds are in poor condition which is often the case on our trucks.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
HeavyD

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
I read some articles ont he topic and it is expected that the TPS will never show 0 or 99%+

I also have a 4.7 and mine reads 9.8% at idle and 75% at WOT, which from my readings is what should be expected.

Considering you read 11.4% to 74% I would say this is pretty standard readings. You may want to check you TPS position and voltage readout with a multi-meter to see if it is providing proper readings. Also many people have added a ground wire from the TB to the Battery Negative to improve electrical signal. This will help especially if your grounds are in poor condition which is often the case on our trucks.

Hope this helps

Yes, how do you like your Superchips, I ordered one, is there anything I should know about the tuner?