Tranny flush, yay or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nogoal9932

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

Here's the deal. I have a used, bought from private seller, 2005 4.7 4wd with 140k on it. I'm not sure the transmission fluid has ever been changed/flushed.

I am having 0 issues with the transmission. However, I'm trying to stay on top of maintenance. Is it a bad idea to get what COULD be its first transmission fluid change at 140k? Is that playing with fire?

Thanks all.

sisupower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would drop pan and change filter and top off couple times before just flushing it. What does fluid look like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HemiMax05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Dodge ram
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I did in the past for years on my 05 before I sold it with 225K miles I would drop the pan, change both filters, and replaced the amount of oil that comes out in the pan which is approximately 7 qts every 30-35K miles and of course with OEM filters and atf-4 trans oil.

sisupower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I did in the past for years on my 05 before I sold it with 225K miles I would drop the pan, change both filters, and replaced the amount of oil that comes out in the pan which is approximately 7 qts every 30-35K miles and of course with OEM filters and atf-4 trans oil.

That's the best way to do it with high mileage transmissions. You slowly get the bad fluid out if there is any. There is places that won't even flush a transmission if it has dirty fluid and a lot of miles. I've seen them have a lot of problems after if they did flush with dirty high mileage.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do not flush it with that much mileage on it unless you know for sure it has been done on a regular basis since it was new.

sisupower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Here's the deal. I have a used, bought from private seller, 2005 4.7 4wd with 140k on it. I'm not sure the transmission fluid has ever been changed/flushed.

I am having 0 issues with the transmission. However, I'm trying to stay on top of maintenance. Is it a bad idea to get what COULD be its first transmission fluid change at 140k? Is that playing with fire?

Thanks all.

I think you got your answer bud! We are all in the same page with it[emoji1360]

OP
OP
N

Nogoal9932

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys are awesome...thanks a lot!

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do not flush it with that much mileage on it unless you know for sure it has been done on a regular basis since it was new.

Excellent advice in my experiences.

Cgiese80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do not flush it man. Ask any Dodge technician and they will tell you it causes more harm than good. Drop pan, change filter and refill. That's your best bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk