Tranny swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I don't think my transmission is going to make it past next winter. Also I'm not sure if there has been other threads on this but I'm curious if anyone knows some good sites or places to look for used or rebuilt transmissions and if there are any DIY tutorials out there? Feedback is greatly appreciated

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Car-part.com. My personal opnion is to get a junkyard trans. If you can do the swap yourself you can do it for around 500-600 +/- depends where your at

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know roughly if theres anything electrically, timing, gear set up, etc. I'd have to deal with. I'm not a super mechanic but I have an idea. I've never messed with a transmission though. Kinda intimidated by it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Car-part.com. My personal opnion is to get a junkyard trans. If you can do the swap yourself you can do it for around 500-600 +/- depends where your at

THIS. It's cheaper to find a low mileage take out than to try to build/have built a stronger RFE when you start putting power to these things. Got my last one here.

Do you know roughly if theres anything electrically, timing, gear set up, etc. I'd have to deal with. I'm not a super mechanic but I have an idea. I've never messed with a transmission though. Kinda intimidated by it.

Very straightforward, disconnect, drop, replace, reconnect. You can use any 2wd or 4wd trans, they're the same with the exception of the end. 4wd will have the t-case adapter and 2wd just a tailshaft where the yoke goes in. I'm assuming you have 4wd so it'll be a bit more of a headache dropping it than a 2wd. If you reuse your stock TC, mark at least one set of bolt holes; if you aren't then it doesn't matter. Mark where your driveshafts connect to the diffs. If it's the first time you've separated the engine and trans, once you've double and triple checked you got all the bellhousing bolts, it may take some wiggling to get them apart. Highly recommend you download the factory service manual (available on this site) and read through the procedure. Also keeo in mind you will need a quicklearn performed once you're done or you can run the risk of possibly damaging your replacement trans.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THIS. It's cheaper to find a low mileage take out than to try to build/have built a stronger RFE when you start putting power to these things. Got my last one here.

Very straightforward, disconnect, drop, replace, reconnect. You can use any 2wd or 4wd trans, they're the same with the exception of the end. 4wd will have the t-case adapter and 2wd just a tailshaft where the yoke goes in. I'm assuming you have 4wd so it'll be a bit more of a headache dropping it than a 2wd. If you reuse your stock TC, mark at least one set of bolt holes; if you aren't then it doesn't matter. Mark where your driveshafts connect to the diffs. If it's the first time you've separated the engine and trans, once you've double and triple checked you got all the bellhousing bolts, it may take some wiggling to get them apart. Highly recommend you download the factory service manual (available on this site) and read through the procedure. Also keeo in mind you will need a quicklearn performed once you're done or you can run the risk of possibly damaging your replacement trans.

What is a quicklearn and how do I get that done. Also, I'm not totally understanding what you mean by get the markings and stuff. And it will be the first time. The factory is still on

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What is a quicklearn and how do I get that done. Also, I'm not totally understanding what you mean by get the markings and stuff. And it will be the first time. The factory is still on

Quick learn resets the clutch value index in the PCM so it can shift properly, remember its a fully electronic transmission. If you're local I can do it, if not it's a dealer trip. Marking the things I recommended is to try and keep as much of the factory built balance as possible. If for the most part it goes back together the way it came apart you shouldn't have any vibration issues. Very first time I did this I didn't mark the flange to the rear diff and I ended up with a little vibration. Reclocked it 180° and it went away.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should be able to go to a trans shop to get a quick learn as well. That's what I did with my last trans, since it was only 2miles up the road I drove there.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemilonestar we been advertising the **** out of car-part the last few days lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hemilonestar we been advertising the **** out of car-part the last few days lol

I know lol, but you can't beat the results. Trans and replacement dash for me.

OP
OP
Tteal235

Tteal235

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been looking on the website. I'm not seeing much for my truck, transmission wise

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Idk if it's been updated but I think when I was looking for my trans last yr it didn't include 4.7 trucks in the search. I got my trans an converter out of a 4.7 ram so it should be able to work from dakota, Durango

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any RFE will work, it's the programming in the PCM/TCM that determines how many gears it will use. I think my last one came out of a 4.7 truck.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L

Off topic but quick question on this regard. Doesn't the 4wd AT have a shorter output shaft or does it use like a spacer between AT and TC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I appreciate that makes my life a lot easier

No problem, just make sure you actually have an RFE, in a lot of the 3.7 vehicles they eventually substituted the RFE with the 42RLE (junk).

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
No problem, just make sure you actually have an RFE, in a lot of the 3.7 vehicles they eventually substituted the RFE with the 42RLE (junk).

I'm fairly certain it's the RFE. Haha I'll have to double check and figure out what'll be needed from a liberty for my crossover. SAS and 4wd conversion haha fun

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 42 crap was in the later 3.7s like 06+ I think. Your g2g

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny that we can bash on another trans besides the 545 on here haha

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Funny that we can bash on another trans besides the 545 on here haha

Well when they take a FWD transaxle and turn it into a RWD/4WD trans and think that's a good idea...