trans service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
its preventative service time and im **** when it comes to maintenance, i need to change my fluid w/o flush along with filters and gaskets, does anyone know what i need exactly and where to get it, i need atf-4 fluids, right? 2 filters? and a gasket correct?....ill be changing the motor oil like i usually do at 5k intervals, which is due next week but my 30k plugs are do and the fluid swap in the trans. also is there anything else i should look at as far as, like a new tps ? what do those run? the truck has always been peppy for a 4.7 and this week it feels a lil sluggish even with all that ive done, im wondering if a sensor or something has gone, no cel just into preventative maintenance. anything else yall think of that i may need....wanna do the trans right after the new yr but i fig its needed so i wanna have time to order stuff if needed....

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Just go to napa and pick up the parts, just be sure that they give you the right filter, there are two filters and one has two different versions, one for 4wd and one for 2wd. Pan is just RTV.

The Valvoline ATF+4 is the same as the MOPAR aft+4 so that is what I would use. I cant remeber off the top of my head how much it needs though, it takes like 13qts if you are doing a full flush though.

Be prepaired to make a mess.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup 2 filters, I dont think they make a gasket you gotta use silicon, as for the tps, probably just clean the throttle body you probably dont need to change the sensor.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Isnt the TPS in the throttle body itsself.... or is that just the HEMI TB

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Probably should also do a pcm reset as well, that always makes mine feel a bit better.

OP
OP
B

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
my tb is clean as i just got it what 2months ago and it was polished, pcm reset, might be healthy for it do i need to return it to stock and then do it? then retune it?....

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
my tb is clean as i just got it what 2months ago and it was polished, pcm reset, might be healthy for it do i need to return it to stock and then do it? then retune it?....

Just pull the pcm fuse or pull the battery cable for a few minutes and reconnect it. No need to reload the tune, that only does a soft reset, you want a hard reset.

OP
OP
B

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
okay i just wanted to make sure i didnt have to reenter all my trans **** again although i maybe going for another change in aggressiveness and im changing tm here in a bout a hr, when this thing updates....but first i need to build another shift schedule i just wanna up a few things....

OP
OP
B

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
21.99 for kit plus 12.99 for spin on and 4.99 qt for valv atf-4 at napa that lady was dumb....took me 10 min to explain that our trans have 2 filters and shes telling me it dont, same lady that told me my truck wouldnt run with a 180 stat...runs fine....

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
no need to pay $5 a quart for valvoline. Truth is, all ATF+4 are completely identical, just rebranded. Its a chrysler specifc formula that chrysler developed. In order for oil companies to produce it, they have to follow chryslers exact recipe. WalMarts $2 Super-tech ATF+4 or whatever its called is the EXACT same stuff as valvoline.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Yeah but although valvoline is not the cheapest, it is certainly not the most expensive, right in the middle. I don't trust the cheapo walmart crap. But that's just personal preference. You could go all out and do RP in it

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
thats the thing though, with this stuff, the "cheapo walmart crap" is identical to royal purple

its allllllllll brand name in this case

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are "all" the same.

Mopar ATF +4 was specially designed by Chrysler for their transmissions. It is different. It has special components for lubrication and to keep the bits clean blah blah blah.

Chrysler does allow some producers to re-brand / re-bottle their product if the formula is followed and a fee is paid.

If they are not on this list they are not cleared by Chrysler:
Licensed ATF+4® Brands

If they are NOT on that list they could be using a very similar formula that may or may not meet their standards.

OP
OP
B

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
thank you lilfrogger thats a useful list that should be posted some where on here. maybe in a better spot...

OP
OP
B

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
im not flushing it so how many quarts would be a good guess to get?

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
im not flushing it so how many quarts would be a good guess to get?

You've got this cool thing in your glove box ... it's called an owners manual :D And if you don't click the link in my signature and download one. All the fluid specs are in there.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If you are just dropping the pan it should be around 8 but double check it. I know doing the whole flush and replacing the tc and trans cooler was around 14

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
jay...I can get you the ATF+4 for free...I work for an oil company...just let me know