Transmission fluid exchange question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
My truck is sitting around 64k miles and the previous owners, while I like they options they got on this truck. I really don't like them as they never did anything for the truck except put in gas and oil changes.

I so far have got my front and rear differentials done, 14 of my 16 spark plugs done as well. One boot got stuck in the engine block so that's my next project.

I want to do a full fluid exchange on my transmission and put in some Valvoline ATF-4 in the transmission. I have 20 quarts of it for a full exchange but I am being stopped by the return line of the transmission.

I know which line it is on the side but cannot figure out how to get the line out, I bought some plastic line disconnect tools but was afraid to put to much stress on them as this vehicle is my daily driver.

If anyone has any tips on how to remove this line, that would be great.
Even better if you live in Northern Jersey area and wouldn't mind showing me, that would be a great help.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you have to put some serious pressure on those line disconnect tools. dont worry, it wont break your truck. if anything is going to break, it would be the plastic tool.

OP
OP
Sparkyy

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Yeah, figured as much. I have the 545rfe tran and looks like I could also take a wrench to it. Not sure how bad it would be by taking a wrench and just unscrewing the housing from the tran.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed my converter, I just unscrewed the fittings. I've seen a few of the plastic cages get broken just out of age and never being moved. No big deal if it breaks, new fitting is like $11 at the dealer. Just a hassle

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
as for the flush, I wouldnt worry with the cooler lines, I would do a pan service, change the filters, and fill the 7-8qts that were lost. Sometimes flushing all the fluid out can shock the trans if it hasnt had regular flushes.

OP
OP
Sparkyy

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
So even though I got 64k on the trans oil, just pan drop and swap filters?
I just want my tran to last a while, hence why I thought of unplugging the return line and letting the truck itself pump out the fluids and keep filling till all 17 qts were replaced.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as for the flush, I wouldnt worry with the cooler lines, I would do a pan service, change the filters, and fill the 7-8qts that were lost. Sometimes flushing all the fluid out can shock the trans if it hasnt had regular flushes.

the things that "shock" the trans are the trans flushes that are offered through dealerships and jiffy lubes. It runs fresh fluid backward through the trans and gets all the debris caught up and clogged in various places. you can do just a simple pan drop and filter change yes, and it is still better that the flush you get at a shop. but if you are dropping the pan, changing the filters and getting out the fluid from the cooler and torque converter than you are in great shape. let me know if you have anymore questions, but it seems like you are on the right track already.

OP
OP
Sparkyy

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks everyone for the input.

I would never let any shop do a system flush like John is saying as it will destroy your transmission if you have never had one done. I heard at 30k you can do it and as long as you keep up on it then it shouldn't hurt anything.

I'm planning on dropping the pan, cleaning that out, disconnecting the return line and then starting the truck to have it's own pump move the fluid around. Shouldn't "shock" the system to much as it is only doing what it is suppose to, just getting new fluid in its place.