Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hlmeans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently had the transmission in my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L rebuilt. As far as I know everything except the Shift Solenoid(s)(I don't know if there is one or multiple solenoids) was replaced. I had it reinstalled at a different place than the transmission shop that rebuilt it. The transmission shop said it required 10 qts of transmission fluid. So my mechanic put 10 qts in and, nothing, the transmission didn't engage, he called the shop, they researched it gave the correct amount of fluids and it seemed to be working fine. I drove it for roughly 60 miles and parked it. The next morning I start it and the check engine light instantly comes on and it won't shift. I drove it to the mechanic manually shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. Pulled the codes, It gave P0700 Transmission Control Malfunction, codes for Incorrect Gear Ratios of 1,2, and 3, and a low voltage code. Since we already knew the battery was going bad, we replaced it, reset the codes and drove it. It started out fine, no codes, shifted from 1st to 2nd on its own then stopped shifting. Pulled the codes again, it gave P0700 Transmission Control Malfunction, codes for Incorrect Gear Ratios of 1,2, and 3. At this point, I can put it into Drive, and it won't shift, I can also put it into 1 or 2 and shifting between the two of them, there is no difference in RPM's. I'm guessing when I put it into 1 or 2 it really is in 2 only, because Drive runs at a higher RPM. Checked the transmission fluid, it's full, maybe even a little over full.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I dont understand why they wouldnt put new shift solenoids in when they rebuilt the trans in the first place...a bad shift solenoid will cause the symptoms you are describing, especially since you can shift it manually....

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Welcome there are some excellent transmission knowlege on this forum and someone will help get you straighten out. My first check would be to look at the electrical plugs since there seems to be a TCM communicating problem as you are in limp mode. You did have the trans scaned when it was installed to reset the shift volumes tables?

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TCM QUICK LEARN
The quick learn procedure requires the use of the
DRBt scan tool.
This program allows the electronic transmission
system to recalibrate itself. This will provide the
proper transmission operation. The quick learn procedure
should be performed if any of the following
procedures are performed:
² Transmission Assembly Replacement
² Transmission Control Module Replacement
² Solenoid Pack Replacement
² Clutch Plate and/or Seal Replacement
² Valve Body Replacement or Recondition
To perform the Quick Learn Procedure, the following
conditions must be met:
² The brakes must be applied
² The engine speed must be above 500 rpm
² The throttle angle (TPS) must be less than 3
degrees
² The shift lever position must stay in PARK until
prompted to shift to overdrive
² The shift lever position must stay in overdrive
after the Shift to Overdrive prompt until the DRBt
indicates the procedure is complete
² The calculated oil temperature must be above
60° and below 200°

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hlmeans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know why he didn't either, my guess is he wanted more money later down the road, when I came to pick it up he said "I didn't replace te shift solenoid, if they go out you can just bring it back and have them replaced". Now he want to charge me labor to look at it even though on my reciept it says 12 month/12k mile warranty, he claims starting it with low tranny fluid, even though that's how much tranny fluid he said to put in it, has voided the warranty and caused the problems. What do you mean "scanned to reset shift volume tables"? The tranny guy said to just put it in and add fluid.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I don't know why he didn't either, my guess is he wanted more money later down the road, when I came to pick it up he said "I didn't replace te shift solenoid, if they go out you can just bring it back and have them replaced". Now he want to charge me labor to look at it even though on my reciept it says 12 month/12k mile warranty, he claims starting it with low tranny fluid, even though that's how much tranny fluid he said to put in it, has voided the warranty and caused the problems. What do you mean "scanned to reset shift volume tables"? The tranny guy said to just put it in and add fluid.

Harry, I edited my respose to include the verbage on Quick Learn. Also you really don't want to run the trans when it is over filled. This can cause overheating and foaming. My guess is to reduce the fluid level and take to a shop that can Quick learn thee TCM and all will be good. Good luck..

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow, you have quite a situation on your hands here. sounds like the guy that rebuilt your tranny is a real douche. this could be a couple of problems. first thought that comes to mind is the shift solenoid pack. its located directly above the valve body, and its where the main wiring harness plugs in to. this can easily be swapped out in the driveway with basic hand tools. the next thing that comes to mind is one or both of the filters being installed incorrectly.

also, do you know if they performed the quick learn procedure on your vehicle/tranny after the rebuild? this is very critical. these fully electronic trannys learn when/how to shift based on CVI #s (clutch volume index, or clutch thickness) when your transmission goes bad, the clutches are all fudged up, and the computer learns to shift based on those values. so when you rebuild it, and have new clutches, the values have changed, but the computer is still trying to shift based on the old values.

if you want to try to tackle swapping out the solenoid pack, let me know, ill post up some pics. its really not difficult. just a little messy.

and also, dont let any tranny shop tell you that you need to replace the valve body. these are not a wear and tear item, and will only go bad if you physically damage them. if they get full of gunk, you can fairly easily clean them out. ive heard of this happening a few times in my area, and dont want to see it happen to anyone on here.

p.s. +1 on what Greg said about too much fluid. too much can be just as bad as not enough.

OP
OP
H

Hlmeans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info, I'm calling today to find out if he did the quick learn, I highly doubt it, but it's worth asking. The reason I had it rebuilt is because it went out completely and when that happened we pulled the codes and it was the same ones that it's showing now. So this makes sense as to what's wrong with it. Is there a way to test the solenoid pack or a check engine code for that specifically? Obviously I'm trying to save as much money as possible. If I quick learn it, and it doesn't fix it, then I install a new solenoid pack, do I have to quick learn it again?

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have been told by a couple tranny gurus that in theory you "should" perform a quicklearn after you do anything to the tranny. ie: torque converter, valve body, solenoid pack, etc... but in reality, if its working fine, you dont absolutely need to, its just suggested.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The manual indicates that a solenoid replacement requires a Quick Learn to be performed.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - TCM QUICK LEARN
The quick learn procedure requires the use of the
DRBt scan tool.
This program allows the electronic transmission
system to recalibrate itself. This will provide the
proper transmission operation. The quick learn procedure
should be performed if any of the following
procedures are performed:
² Transmission Assembly Replacement
² Transmission Control Module Replacement
² Solenoid Pack Replacement
² Clutch Plate and/or Seal Replacement
² Valve Body Replacement or Recondition
To perform the Quick Learn Procedure, the following
conditions must be met:
² The brakes must be applied
² The engine speed must be above 500 rpm
² The throttle angle (TPS) must be less than 3
degrees
² The shift lever position must stay in PARK until
prompted to shift to overdrive
² The shift lever position must stay in overdrive
after the Shift to Overdrive prompt until the DRBt
indicates the procedure is complete
² The calculated oil temperature must be above
60° and below 200°

Justin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
trans problems

I have a 2002 1500 5.9l I had the trans replaced a little while back and it shifts hard into 2nd gear and today it won't shift into 2nd when it shuts off it'll go into first and 2nd
when put manually into 2nd it seems as if it slips and acts like its in neutral
and help with this problem?

LBC970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this is a fairly old thread, consider it proof I searched! :D

I am about to dig into my trans to replace my shift solenoid, however, I am only finding a Transmission Control Solenoid listed. Are these one in the same? I am 99% sure they are, I just want to double check.

Thanks!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Here's another question. If had an aftermarket trans installed and it has a custom shift schedule, should I still get a quick learn done? I'm just trying to figure out if my issues are just calibration problems or if I need to get the custom programming reworked.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Thats a tough one. Welcome anyhow fellow ALXer. Maybe John can comment further as I beleive he was running a sharadon Trans. In his 2500 Hemi. As for relearn i'm not sure if that can be done like in the Hemi cars. Do the new trucks tuning offer such a thing as Tcm addaptives reset, just throwing that out there. Danny

FxNytro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is sounding an awful lot like the problem that popped up with my ram today.. if i put it in drive it feels sluggish and wont really pull so i manually shift it down to first and it goes fine and then i have to manually upshift and then it wont go into overdrive, I was on the highway put it in neutral shut the truck off restarted it and put it in drive and then the overdrive was working but it seems to have a mind of its own and goes back to overdrive off when i slow down at a stopsign. I took it to dodge they scanned it and its saying the left rear solenoid is giving the error, is this the solenoid pack i have to change out? thx in advance

bobbidawn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had my tranny rebuilt 10 months ago and have had shifting issues ever since. (04 1500 5.7 hemi )
I just had it in the shop for the 6th time. It drove great the first day and now is back to hesitating to shift into drive and when it engages, it slams into gear. The receipt I have shows in order of service since the rebuild.
Adapter gasket, tranny flush, 545 feel 4x4 tranny, filter kit, solenoid body, valve body, case seals, fluid, gasket and seal kit, separator plate, piston, tranny pump and clutch plate. I've had it with going back and forth to the shop. He stated it COULD be a warping issue. Please, is there anything else that would cause my shifting issues? My next step is filing a claim.