Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm gonna start off my giving the backstory just to help understand what the problem could be.

My buddy bought a 2005 1500 5.7 4x4 about 6 months ago. It has 160k on the clock. When we bought it the guy said the transmission been rebuilt a year ago. (the warranty expired a month after he bought the truck) He also said he had some parts on the transmission upgraded like torque converter can't really remember what else. The guy also sold the truck we a Diablo sport tuner. After I drove the truck for the first time I immediately told my buddy to take the tune out. (Didn't like the way it made the truck drive always felt like it shifted way to hard while getting into higher rpms) well he didn't take the tune out and now his transmission feels like it's slipping but only sometimes doesn't do it all the time. Also throwing a P0700 code. I realise this is a generic code. But has anyone had this code before. If so what fixed the code. Just trying to get ideas of what we could be dealing with. Besides the obvious transmission itself going out.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Plug the tuner in and check codes again, p0700 rarely ever pops by itself. Also may feel like it's slipping if (like you said) upgraded the TC with maybe a higher stall aftermarket unit.

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not sure if its a tuner that can read codes but he is gonna take the truck to a shop to have them read. He just doesn't know When he will have time.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea p0700 just lets you know somethings wrong. There should def be a more specific code along with it. Hopefully it’s not the incorrect ratio code. Kiss that tranny goodbye if it is.

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea p0700 just lets you know somethings wrong. There should def be a more specific code along with it. Hopefully it’s not the incorrect ratio code. Kiss that tranny goodbye if it is.

If it was the incorrect ratio wouldn't that have caused a problem shortly after the tranny was rebuilt and not over a year later?

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also he cycled his key 3 times to check codes again and the only code it's showing is p0700.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If it was the incorrect ratio wouldn't that have caused a problem shortly after the tranny was rebuilt and not over a year later?

No not always, mine took a while before it finally went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also he cycled his key 3 times to check codes again and the only code it's showing is p0700.

And that’s what mine did til you hooked it up to a dealer dtc reader and it listed more codes. As stated before it’s just a generic code to let ya know there’s something with the tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well we are about to go to one of the most respected transmission guys in our area. So we will see. Hopefully nothing major.

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

The code went away on its own and transmission has been fine for the most part. no weird shifting or slipping. The transmission guy say it could last a day or it could go another couple years. (Duh! Thats almost every part on a vehicle) But he quoted 1900 to rebuild with a 1 year warranty. my buddy decided to just wait it out and see how long it lasted.