Transmission Temperature Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Has anyone ever added a transmission temperature gauge to their 3rd Gen Ram 1500..? I already know my '03 Ram 4.7 has a trans temp warning light. But I'd like to know if anyone has ever added a trans temp gauge as added security..? I'm asking because I was thinking of maybe installing one to mostly monitor my trans temps in the summer when I'm hauling my 16 FT camper trailer and my 16 FT fibreglass boat. Is installing a trans temp gauge even worth it or am I just throwing my money out the window..? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of people add them to the pan or run a programmer with displays to show trans temp like bullydog gas gt (I own this one) plus others on the market.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I believe trans temp, and oil pressure are the most important parameters to watch. My AutoMeter Oil Pressure, and Trans Temp Gauges will be here by the end of the week. I already have my A pillar, two gauge pod, to mount the gauges.

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
So I guess adding a trans temp gauge isn't a bad idea from what you guys are telling me. With that said, I guess I'll look into it and try and set one up early this summer. And Harley Harrold, would you mind posting a pic of your gauge set up..? I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like. And I was also thinking of mounting it on the pillar as well.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have installed Trans Temp, Oil Pressure, Nitrous Pressure, Boost, and AF gauges in my truck. First three are pillars on the left and boost and AF are above the mirror.

I really LOVE having my gauge, I towed a car on a trailer from CO to CA and it really helped knowing i was getting to hot going over mountian passes and such. I high reccomend it... if you need any help or questions feel free to msg me.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also for both of you that are doing the install, if you are doing an trans temp electrical gauge you will need to purchase part#105-2286 from JEGS or Summit. It mounts in line with your transmission line. Then a single wire runs to your gauge for the reading. GOOD LUCK! send me a message if you need help

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I run a trans temp guage on my truck as well... I use to run it from one of the test ports on transmission, then, when I got a deep tranny pan it had a port on it which I used. I try to watch this like a hawk :) , I also run the Innovative guage as well which plugs into odb port, sometimes I watch the tranny temp pid and compare it to the other tranny guage I have...

IMG_2202.jpg

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Also for both of you that are doing the install, if you are doing an trans temp electrical gauge you will need to purchase part#105-2286 from JEGS or Summit. It mounts in line with your transmission line. Then a single wire runs to your gauge for the reading. GOOD LUCK! send me a message if you need help

I will be installing a Mag-Hytec deep aluminum trans oil pan, that already has a port for the short sweep gauge, electric sender unit.

Last edited:

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I will be installing a Mag Tec deep aluminum trans oil pan, that already has a port for the short sweep gauge, electric sender unit.

Perfect! Seems you got we all figured out :) I run 2WD so dep pans for me isn't much help lol

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Yeah, most of the install videos or write ups that I've looked at say to use a t-fitting and use the existing port. That way you can keep the existing temp warning light and have the gauge on the same port. Not sure I like that. But the most common install that I've seen and like the most is through the test port as you mentioned. Which is probably the way I'll end up going. Do you have a specific gauge/kit that you recommend..? I'd like a white faced gauge like the one you have in your post as my currency cluster gauges are white.

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah, most of the install videos or write ups that I've looked at say to use a t-fitting and use the existing port. That way you can keep the existing temp warning light and have the gauge on the same port. Not sure I like that. But the most common install that I've seen and like the most is through the test port as you mentioned. Which is probably the way I'll end up going. Do you have a specific gauge/kit that you recommend..? I'd like a white faced gauge like the one you have in your post as my currency cluster gauges are white.

I will receive my AutoMeter gauges tomorrow, already have the gauge A Pillar Pod. Pictured are the gauges I am installing. I will keep my dash oil pressure gauge connected thru a T fitting.

Attachments

• 415DPKD1YHL.jpg
    415DPKD1YHL.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 409
  • 41192M1181L.jpg
    41192M1181L.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 608
OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
How do the A Pillar Pods Mount up..? As for the gauges, I for sure want a trans temp gauge. Debating on getting the oil pressure one too. But I'm not sure yet. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
steermaster-albums-orange_beast.html

A Pillar mounts the same way old plastic does, it uses one screw that mounts it to where it previously screws went. the link above is a loink to my pictures, you can see the gauge pod mounted, and also the gauge pod above the mirror. As far as the gauges inside the pillar... they come with a little plastic deal that you can screw in the back on the ears to hold the gauges in...they are a bit tight so I actually didnt even use them. The gauges fit very snug in the pillar I have had no problems what so ever with not using the black ear to mount behind...

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
steermaster-albums-orange_beast.html

A Pillar mounts the same way old plastic does, it uses one screw that mounts it to where it previously screws went. the link above is a loink to my pictures, you can see the gauge pod mounted, and also the gauge pod above the mirror. As far as the gauges inside the pillar... they come with a little plastic deal that you can screw in the back on the ears to hold the gauges in...they are a bit tight so I actually didnt even use them. The gauges fit very snug in the pillar I have had no problems what so ever with not using the black ear to mount behind...

I noticed my gauges are a tight fit in the A Pillar Pod, I can get the gauge retainer behind the gauges, but like you said, the tight fit means I may not need to use the retainers. This will make positioning the gauges easy.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've got trans,air fuel/ratio and
Fuel pressure In mine.from glowshift gauges, great company I high recommend them. If your gonna put an trans temp ga and are gonna put it thru the test port I recommend an trans test port extender. Install wise it's very easy for the glowshift 7 color series. As long as you buy the recommended acessorys wiring kit and the sensors adapters

Harley Harrold

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've got trans,air fuel/ratio and
Fuel pressure In mine.from glowshift gauges, great company I high recommend them. If your gonna put an trans temp ga and are gonna put it thru the test port I recommend an trans test port extender. Install wise it's very easy for the glowshift 7 color series. As long as you buy the recommended acessorys wiring kit and the sensors adapters

I don't want to use the test port, as it doesn't let the sensor come in contact with the transmission fluid, it will be using the case temperature, which is different than the transmission fluid temperature. I plan to use a deep aluminum pan that has a port for the temperature sender.

Update: I decided to use the Auto Meter Trans. Temp. Manifold Adapter from JEGS. I ordered the 105-2286 3/8", but I was told I need the 105-2287 5/16" one instead, so I will have to exchange it for the correct one.

Last edited:

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Been running a Glowshift Trans Temp and Oil Psi for about 3 years. Had to change out the sender unit for the oil a year or so ago but for the price i am happy.. Def good to have for monitoring.
7804114464_4ba2acfd12_b.jpg

OP
OP
Rambling

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Been running a Glowshift Trans Temp and Oil Psi for about 3 years. Had to change out the sender unit for the oil a year or so ago but for the price i am happy.. Def good to have for monitoring.
Where did you run the sensor for the transmission sensor, in the test port..?