transmission or TPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kricut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hadn't drove my 2008 dodge ram 1500 sxt truck for 2 weeks. then driving it down the interstate all of a sudden the RPM's raise high and it drops in speed, i got it back home and tried to drive it again, now it wont shift into 3rd gear. i bought the truck in 2010 but my warrenty ran out in november from what they say. A mechanic informed me it was the TPS? where is that and can i fix it myself, or can i reset it somehow?

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. :)

I've never had problems with the throttle positioning sensor on my truck, but if it's bad, it will have to be replaced.

kamakazi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l v8
My TPS went out on my 03 ram 1500 and it did the same thing the transmission wouldnt shift. i changed the TPS and Walla it solved the problem... IDK where The TPS on your truck would be at but mines on the Throttle Body itself... i think thats where it might be though... hope this helps.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
easy as pie, mine crapped out on me too. just two little bolts on the throttle body. Plus its only like $30

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
What are some other symptoms of a TPS going bad? I get no codes, but some times when the truck is cold, when I come to a stop it will stutter and sometimes even stall. Once it warms up fully it doesn't happen anymore though. And my MPG seemed to be getting worse. I tried cleaning the throttle body and all and that seemed to help some with the MPGs, but it still stutters and stalls. The throttle body wasn't very dirty either.

Only happens when the truck is cold though.

Rcobb887

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing in the wrangler I had. It was the TPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kricut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank ya'll so much for help... I did check and I have to get the TPS for a dealer, however, I did find it in my truck. Believe it or not it is connected at the top of the gas pedal, ( I have to replace the gas pedal as well)

OP
OP
K

kricut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the symptoms on mine were,
dropped out of 3rd gear while i was going down the interstate,
Rpm's went real high when i pressed the gas, but it continued to drop in speed,
check engine light came on shortly after,
code on it was P0733 (for sensor failure)