Transmission upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BamBam1472

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have an 04 5.7L Ram with the 545RFE transmission. i'm not happy with the transmissions performance and i'm wondering if an upgrade would be applicable. it is not misbehaving i just don't think i'm getting the full potential out of the engine. it frequently shifts too early and i find myself having push the gas down so much that it engages the kick-down gear just to maintain 70 mph on the highway with about a 5% percent up-hill grade.

it is shifting to 3rd, 4th, and 5th too early for my tastes. i know there are tuner's out there that will allow me to control this, but i want a product that is designed to do what i want, not put a band-aid on it. if the 545RFE is designed to go more aggressive then a tuner it is, but otherwise i would like to get some feedback on what our SME's (subject matter experts) say.

Thoughts?
Thanks

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill be honest with you. I really don't know of such product other than a tuner that will help with your issue. But I do know from experience that a tuner does work.

These transmissions are electronically and computer controlled and that is partially why they lack the performance stock. There are other upgrade options available like a torque converter and a modified valve body that may help. But for what you want you will see the best results from a tuner with transmission tuning.

There maybe some other options available that im unaware of so I'm sure others will chime in.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Gears, LP booster, Shift kit and TC. Are the usual trans mods. Maybe check out my 545 alternative thread.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
With an 04, take a look at the Superchips advanced trans tuning. also look into a sonnax line booster, those will help the trans out quite a bit and are the more cost effective mods. If you want to add some more, drop in a shift kit or performance valve body, higher torque converter, and gears on top of the tuners advanced tuning.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the same truck, if you get the superchips advance transmission tuning you can tune out those early shifts. It will make a night and day difference to the drivability of your truck. If you need some shift points let me know, I think I still have them saved on my computer from when I beta tested the advanced transmission tuning a few years ago for them.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the same truck, if you get the superchips advance transmission tuning you can tune out those early shifts. It will make a night and day difference to the drivability of your truck. If you need some shift points let me know, I think I still have them saved on my computer from when I beta tested the advanced transmission tuning a few years ago for them.

^^^^This^^^^

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed tuning is the first step, then TC and shift kit, or perhaps a modified valve body. Line boosters are good as well.

It's not that the 545rfe is a bad or weak transmission, it just falls under the same problem as 90% of newer electronic shift slushboxes, they are programmed to optimize fuel economy and smooth shifting.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Each year has it's own capabilities. What I have seen is that a lot of tuning manipulates the MAP signal and others, these signals are also used to adjust the Line Pressure in attempt to minimize parasitic losses. Trans is programed to run with the least amount of line pressure as possible. When these signals have been altered then the trans may not be reading the engine load status correctly not apply enough line pressure. Typically the truck runs at cruise with as little as 30psi LP.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Would you be able to post them i have the same yr an would like to try something else. Also on an offnote are you off_road_teacher on the other forums?

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would you be able to post them i have the same yr an would like to try something else. Also on an offnote are you off_road_teacher on the other forums?

I have them on my laptop but they are in excel files so I can't post them, only email.

Yes, was on this forum too but that account is banned on here so I had to come up with a new one :D

OP
OP
B

BamBam1472

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I have enough information here to really get me headed in the right direction. Thanks again.

BlackRam: I would like to get those shift points from you if possible, can you PM?

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I have enough information here to really get me headed in the right direction. Thanks again.

BlackRam: I would like to get those shift points from you if possible, can you PM?

If you pm me your email I can. Right now we are at the beach but I should be back on Monday and can send them then.

OP
OP
B

BamBam1472

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Alternative

Gears, LP booster, Shift kit and TC. Are the usual trans mods. Maybe check out my 545 alternative thread.

Redtruck, I haven't been able to find your thread on the 545. Is there a way you can point me to it?