Trouble Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

A few days ago I was starting my truck (2004 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi), and my hand slipped off the key after about half a crank. After that it would crank but not even try to start. I finally “pumped” the gas pedal and it started up (I know the throttle is electronic, does not actually pump). It ran fine and got me to work. It threw the following codes:

P0315 Crank Pos Sys Variation Not Learned
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

It ran okay after that, but now seems to do it more often. It throws the same codes when it happens. Once it starts it runs fine.

The Crankshaft Position Sensor was replaced about a month or so ago, when I was having intermittent stalling issues, along with the Camshaft Position Sensor.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Did you find a solution? Thanks again for all the great information this forum provides!

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have done that before with my hand slipping off, i had to let it sit there for a few minutes and it started... but mine never threw codes.... I would say you may have to replace the crankshaft sensor again... have the plugs/wires ever been replaced?

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't replaced Plugs & Wires yet, It is on my to do list. I will have to see if there was a warrenty on the crankshaft position sensor.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmm... I'm thinkin the misfire is from the wires... I had that happen once.. but this all started from when your hand slipped off the ignition?

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, It started when that happened and I also noticed some other oddities....It seems like the transmission is not getting into high gear. going down the road at 55MPH runs about 2500RPM. I was going to lock it in at that speed and found the cruise is not working now either. I am going to see if the old crankshaft position senser is still around and try swapping that out.

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to mention, If I floored the accelerator, it would only get to near 4000RPM then it kind of bucked and drop RPMs.....After I got home and changed clothes, I went to diagnose it some more and it started up fine! Curious, I clicked cruise and the Cruise light came on! So I gave it a drive and 55MPH was at 1500 RPM. I could floor the accelerator and it ran right up to 6000 RPM no problems!! It drove just like it should.
It ran fine for couple of days after the first time this happened. So I guessing it could happen again. I’ll have to pay close attention to the parameters that cause it to get into this funky mode.

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More info... I read the codes earlier on my lunch break, A new code came in since...I do not know if it was while running poorly on the way home, while running well after I got home, or both. but it was a little more specific with the misfire. P0303 Cylinder #3 Misfire

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After Running Fine last Night, This morning it started hard again. 55MPH was at 2500RPM as before, if you floored it the engine would start cutting out before you could reach 4000RPM. also cruise was INOP. everything like before. New Codes though....

Stored DTC's
P0315 Crank Pos Sys Variation Not Learned
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0303 Cylinder #3 Misfire
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

Pending DTC(s) Detected during current or last completed driving cycle
P1503 - Fault Definition not availible or Manufacture specific (Google says:Auxillary Speed Sensor Fault)
P0003 Fuel Volume Regulator Ctrl Circ Low

It is strange that the same symptoms trew totaly difernt codes

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again, It started hard, threw codes, & 55MPH was at 2500RPM going home from work. once I got home and it sat a little .... It ran fine. However, I went ahead and put the old Crankshaft Position Sensor in. It still ran fine, so I decided to wait and see what happen's in the morning.

Next morning, it started great, no codes, and ran great. PTL!

Packwoodrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard starting

Hey Jeff beck. I have the same year truck and I am having exactly the same issues that you had with your truck.
What exactly fixed it?

Please help

Diro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Again, It started hard, threw codes, & 55MPH was at 2500RPM going home from work. once I got home and it sat a little .... It ran fine. However, I went ahead and put the old Crankshaft Position Sensor in. It still ran fine, so I decided to wait and see what happen's in the morning.

Next morning, it started great, no codes, and ran great. PTL!

I had the same problem with my truck, it was running fine and all of the sudden was misfiring stuttering and sometimes dying. Repleced the crank sensor with oem parts and I’ve solved the problem. Hope that can help!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

GAspud1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 04 1500 5.7 and it used to start first key turn now you have t try to start it then try a second time which sometimes itll crank and die sometimes itll crank and stay running or a third try to get it fired. I also notice if I go through a carwash the idle will get real ruff as the washer passes by the driverside cab/bed/gas filler area. this all started shortly after replacing the fuel pump, I was told may be evap system but I don't know. im also seeing some ruff cruising idles or something and have dropped fuel economy too please help, more details if needed.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 04 1500 5.7 and it used to start first key turn now you have t try to start it then try a second time which sometimes itll crank and die sometimes itll crank and stay running or a third try to get it fired. I also notice if I go through a carwash the idle will get real ruff as the washer passes by the driverside cab/bed/gas filler area. this all started shortly after replacing the fuel pump, I was told may be evap system but I don't know. im also seeing some ruff cruising idles or something and have dropped fuel economy too please help, more details if needed.

That sounds like it may be your Canister Purge Solenoid or the plug/pig tail to it has a short based on what you say happens at the car wash.