Truck is bogging down or dying while stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ta2edWarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. It's my first truck in over two decades. I love it. The issue that I am having is when I am stopping at a light, it drops the RPM's and either wants to die or does die if I don't let off on the brakes and feather it to a stop. Please ask any of the questions that you would need the answers to help me figure out what route to go with this. A buddy at work who does cars says he thinks it's the mass air sensor connected to the aftermarket cold air intake that was installed by the previous owner. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
T

Ta2edWarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply.

I found this;

AUTEX 56028187AD ABS Wheel Speed Sensor For 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2500 3500

and this;

Wells SU8567 Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor

in response to your answer. Should I get both or just the crankshaft?

TxMoparKid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My '05 was doing the same, got to the point it would (feel like) miss a cylinder at WoT. Turned out to be the Cam/Crank Positioning Sensor. Cheap part. EGR valve is a $15 10 minute item I replaced too, as it can cause a couple similar issues. If these don't fix it, TPS is next. Try a free fix first: Clean throttle body and MAF sensor, reset computer and see if it helps.

OP
OP
T

Ta2edWarrior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '05 was doing the same, got to the point it would (feel like) miss a cylinder at WoT. Turned out to be the Cam/Crank Positioning Sensor. Cheap part. EGR valve is a $15 10 minute item I replaced too, as it can cause a couple similar issues. If these don't fix it, TPS is next. Try a free fix first: Clean throttle body and MAF sensor, reset computer and see if it helps.

Thanks for the reply. I do have the crankshaft sensor in hand. Just waiting for it to warm up this weekend. I will try the other steps as well. How do you reset the computer?

TxMoparKid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Several ways to reset involving ignition, gas pedal, hop up n down, full moons, etc.
Most common: pull fuse #23, Get in truck, close doors, insert key to the on position, then to the start postion (don't crank it).. wait until you hear two chimes (takes about 5 seconds or so before the chimes sound), then key back to off position. Get out, put fuse back in and start the truck (a 2-3 second delay for the truck to start means the PCM was reset). Then you're good to go..PCM has to relearn your driving habits.