truck died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
first time truck ever died. i was pulling intoa store and the engine got funky the steering locked up and she died. it sounded like the starter was cranking still tho.. it was weird. i shut it down. waited tried to refire. nothing. waiting a few minutes. it fired up. parked it turned it off. tried againn, it fired up idled fine. drove it a few miles home. then she didnt wanna fire up again. long crank. took up the camshaft sensor. cleaned it put it back in. long crank then started but wouldnt rev over 2-3k. idles fine. i replaced the crankshaft sensor 6 months ago as a perventive maintiance thing. can u clean the camshaft sensor or should i get a new one. well im going to get one anyway cuz the truck is messed up

update..... bought a new camshaft sensor at napa for 12 bux. truck runs great again. 10 minutes fix. tight squeeze with the socket from underneith tho

Last edited:

A/C0197

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good, quick cheap fixes are the way to go.

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 04 had the same issue, never figured out what it was though

OP
OP
inktoxicated

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well after 2 days with the new camshaft sensor it was acting werid again. turnsout it was the crankshaft sensor that i put in 6 months earlier from rockauto. still had the oem one that i took out and it fixed it right up. i only took the oem out because i was doing preventive maintiancnce but in this case didnt work. go oem on these sensors

ramrod2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
did your truck ever throw any codes like timing chain codes before you replaced your bad sensor?