Truck Dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I always start my truck in the morning before work and let it warm up. A few times in the last week, I come outside to leave for work, and my truck had died. What could the issue be? Something with the fuel?

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Huh...... That's weird. Still runnin ok? it's probably mad you sold all that stuff you had for it lol

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
LOL, prolly so! Yeah, it's still running great, no problems while driving

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you stayed in it or outside to see what its doing before it shuts off? probably won't if your watching it though lol.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
maybe your idle is dropping low because of a bad tps? causing it to stall.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
How old is the battery? Are you having defrost on to bump up the RPMs also?

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I will reset the TPS again tonight, good idea. the air is just on regular, not defrost, and the battery is only a little over a year old.

I haven't been out there to hear what it does, if it sputters or anything, but I was wondering if it was like the injectors? Maybe it needs some injector cleaner put thru it?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Possibly, even if its not showing a CEL also try pulling any codes with your tuner.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
its funny you posted this... was leaving work last night, and my truck does the exact same thing. lettin it warm up while taking a smoke and it just dies. I think it may be the fuel pump on mine. cause when i went to start it back up it wouldnt...it would almost fire up you can hear it. It was like there wasnt a lot of fuel being fed into it. it was weird cause thats never happened. but as soon as it started it have no isssues driving.

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't have a remote start or anything on mine, it's weird because that's what it reminds me of, lol. Mine starts right back up though.

That is ironic, Nick haha

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Mine stalled and had a hard time keeping idle after warming up and driving to work, so I added some gas treatment and it cured it so i was guessing the lil ol gas station i use has water in their tank as this has happened before, so also important to leave at least half a tank to avoid condensation in winter. These Tucks need to keep the Injectors clean when they get old but also found it can stumble or go into limpe mode during that tank/cleaning process, just some experiences to assist.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine stalled and had a hard time keeping idle after warming up and driving to work, so I added some gas treatment and it cured it so i was guessing the lil ol gas station i use has water in their tank as this has happened before, so also important to leave at least half a tank to avoid condensation in winter. These Tucks need to keep the Injectors clean when they get old but also found it can stumble or go into limpe mode during that tank/cleaning process, just some experiences to assist.
Most fuel injector treatments will remove a certain volume of water from your tank.
You shouldn't run empty because of both fuel system cooling and condensation, but if you reguallry add fuel system/injecotr cleaner, whether or not they do anything for your injectors, they will absorb up to 10% of their volume in free water and allow it to run through your combustion chamber without harming your engine (deals with staturation levels of certain petroleum distillate solvents).
I have the 32 gallon fuel tank and would never cut myself off at 1/2 a tank. I tend to draw the line at about 1/4 tank if I haven't run any fuel treatment in a while.

Lucas Fuel treatment for example is cheap and comes in a large size. If you added that every couple of tank-ups during the cold months you probably wouldn't have to worry about water unless you are buying bad gas. Some folks question if these products do anything postive for injectors, valves or cylinders, but chemically they do help with water.

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Alright, thanks guys :)

I am guilty of letting it go below 1/2 tank, I didn't know that about the condensation. Gonna get some fuel treatment today and fill the truck up.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Alright, thanks guys :)

I am guilty of letting it go below 1/2 tank, I didn't know that about the condensation. Gonna get some fuel treatment today and fill the truck up.

Was it cold the morning(s) it happened? Because even in December it's been like 80 degrees. Lol.

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
LOL, ya no kiddin, it was on the mornings where i'd say it was like in the 40s haha

OP
OP
HemiBabe

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well, I put some fuel cleaner in it and filled it up, hasnt died again yet, we'll see how this week goes lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01