Truck over heated badly. Now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremyrowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got my truck back from the shop. They replaced a blown head gasket. I had them replace the valve springs while they were in there since I've read of the stock Valve springs being prone to breaking.

Drove the truck around and everything seemed OK. Normal power. There was a bit of a new drone sound. Maybe from the new springs? Definitely coming from the engine.

Hooked my trailer and Jeep to my truck and headed for the mountains to go play. As soon as I hit the first grade the Temp went straight to RED. There was nowhere to pull off for a couple miles. K Rails were there so I couldn't pull over. Drove about 25mph with the Big rigs up some steep grades to the first pull out.. maybe 3-4 miles. Truck Died as soon as I slowed down. Called a tow truck.

Upon inspection, the shop did not put the hose clamps on both heater core hoses. one had popped off. Completely drained the coolant from my truck. Added a couple gallons of water and fired the truck up and it sounded like a diesel truck. Towed it directly back to the shop.

So how bad is it? Could the shop do a repair that would get it back on the road, but still have a compromised engine? What are my options?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At best, blew a head gasket again. At worst, warped the heads, cooked the rings and bearrings. Won't know till you tear it down.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

hemibaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 SLT
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is where your shop needs to at the VERY LEAST find a you a engine for your truck. Or a complete rebuild. Unless you don't know what caused your head-gasket to go the first time. Either way, if its been badly overheated twice, i wouldn't trust it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi blocks are cheaper to replace than to rebuild. In your position in terms of labor a tear down and rebuild. Swap it and dont look back my friend.

OP
OP
J

jeremyrowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, The shop stepped up and acknowledged their mistake. Their mechanic made a human mistake. I get it... Don't like it, but I get it.

They put in a new Reman Engine with a 3 year warranty. I just did the 500 mile oil change and then was able to open it up a bit. It drives good like it always had.

It took awhile, but I have my truck back!

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice to see a shop step up. Most would deny it and leave you hanging.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, The shop stepped up and acknowledged their mistake. Their mechanic made a human mistake. I get it... Don't like it, but I get it.

They put in a new Reman Engine with a 3 year warranty. I just did the 500 mile oil change and then was able to open it up a bit. It drives good like it always had.

That's a good shop right there. Most of them would either deny the whole thing or still want you to pay a majority of the bill. Everybody can mess up from time to time but only the good shops will fix it like that.

hemi_loredo03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Good **** right there. :favorites13:

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Thats a great shop right there. Why not give them some credit and tell us their name? Maybe some other folks are looking to get some work done too.