Truck shaking at high speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jenbaseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there, first time poster, long time Dodge truck owner. I'm hoping someone can guide me, as the dealership has been worthless. I've had my 2008 truck since brand new and it has 56,000 miles on it. However, I have had an intermittent issue that is progressively getting worse. It used to be only a few times a year, but now it's almost once a week. When I'm driving longer distances and the truck is warmed up, just as I get up to my 70-80 mph speed, it begins shaking - almost like it's misfiring and has trouble kicking down to overdrive. So I pull over, and as I slow down, it almost lurches to a stop. But when I turn the engine off and restart, I can continue with no issues. I've taken it into the dealership to troubleshoot, but they say there's "no codes" and send me on my way (it is under the lifetime warranty). I've had a buddy mention coil pack replacement, but I've also heard that the 2008 transmission can be problematic.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, or can at least set me on the right path to troubleshooting? I'd appreciate any insight, thank you in advance!

RamDude52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi there, first time poster, long time Dodge truck owner. I'm hoping someone can guide me, as the dealership has been worthless. I've had my 2008 truck since brand new and it has 56,000 miles on it. However, I have had an intermittent issue that is progressively getting worse. It used to be only a few times a year, but now it's almost once a week. When I'm driving longer distances and the truck is warmed up, just as I get up to my 70-80 mph speed, it begins shaking - almost like it's misfiring and has trouble kicking down to overdrive. So I pull over, and as I slow down, it almost lurches to a stop. But when I turn the engine off and restart, I can continue with no issues. I've taken it into the dealership to troubleshoot, but they say there's "no codes" and send me on my way (it is under the lifetime warranty). I've had a buddy mention coil pack replacement, but I've also heard that the 2008 transmission can be problematic.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, or can at least set me on the right path to troubleshooting? I'd appreciate any insight, thank you in advance!
My 2005 acted similarly. I don't think coil packs as I believe an electronic issue would almost immediately throw a code. Because of a similar issue, I replaced a couple coil packs, plugs, wires, and EGR valve which helped, but the issue persisted. I've made a couple posts recently regarding this as I found and fixed my problem. It was all related to vaccume as my front rollover valve in the fuel tank was broke. The valve on my tank is not replaceable, have to replace whole tank. Was able to fix the problem with JB Weld plastic epoxy. Truck been running great since repair. I would start looking at vaccume system or maybe fuel pump. I went ahead and replaced my pump since I was under there anyway. I'm no mechanic, but this was MY issue and how I fixed it. Hope it helps!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk