Tune Up Time???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I have a 04 Ram 1500 Hemi and I have a trip to PCB coming up in a few weeks and I want to do a few things to my truck to make sure its running up to par for the whole trip, not that I've had any problems out of it. I bought my truck almost 3 years ago and it had 82,000 on it. Now, it has 134,000. I used to drive it a good bit for work, but now it only gets driven around 300 miles a week. I've never changed the spark plugs or wires, flushed the radiator, or changed the transmission fluid. The only things I've done is change the oil and I had the differential housing gasket and seal changed and fluid redone because it had a slow leak in it at the seal. Are there any suggestions on what I should do to give it a little tune up before the trip? Should I take it somewhere and have them flush the radiator and change the transmission fluid and gasket? Should I buy some new spark plugs and if so, which work best in the Hemi? And on my next oil change, should I switch to a synthetic blend and what filter would be the best? Some people on here say K&N and others MOPAR. I do have a K&N cold air kit on it, but that is all. I plan to get a few things for the exterior for looks, but right now I'm wanting to make sure everything is going to be running good for my trip and just for the overall good care of the truck. Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do tranny flush, change plugs (best for us Hemi guys is the cheap ass copper plugs just member you need 16) and when you do an oil change add in a quart of marvel mystery oil combined with the remaining 6 quarts of your choice of synthetic, and I usually run the fram tough guard oil filter TG16 is the number I believe and when you fill up before the trip run one of the little bottles of the Lucas injectors cleaner through the gas tank. Hope this helps

A modder is never truly done, he is merely delayed!

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I would definitely give it a full tune up. Change all the fluids, engine oil, rear diff, front if 4x4, and the coolant in the radiator. If your gonna do the the transmission I would highly recommend a fluid and filter change on that. It's not hard to do.
As far as the oil filter.....you have several choices. The Mopar filter is a good, WIX makes a good filter, Fram, etc. that all comes down to your personal preference.
And yes!!!! Go synthetic on the fluids. All of them. You won't regret it and you will notice a big difference in your truck.
Last but not least. Go with a good set of plugs and wires to top it off.

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No don't buy good plugs your Hemi will **** on you if you do, just do the copper core ngk's they are like 2.50 a piece at oreilly

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do tranny flush, change plugs (best for us Hemi guys is the cheap ass copper plugs just member you need 16) and when you do an oil change add in a quart of marvel mystery oil combined with the remaining 6 quarts of your choice of synthetic, and I usually run the fram tough guard oil filter TG16 is the number I believe and when you fill up before the trip run one of the little bottles of the Lucas injectors cleaner through the gas tank. Hope this helps

This.

The maintenance schedule for an '06 1500 @ 120,0000 miles (which is closest to your mileage) is the following:

Spark Plug change
Flush and replace engine coolant
Change rear axle fluid
Change transmission fluid
Oil Change
Inspect PCV valve, replace if necessary
Replace engine air filter, if necessary
Tire rotation, if necessary

Personally, I run the Mopar oil filter. I think it's around $4 at Advance Auto. Seems to quiet down that "tick" as opposed to a Fram or something similar.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
No don't buy good plugs your Hemi will **** on you if you do, just do the copper core ngk's they are like 2.50 a piece at oreilly

I guess I should have been more specific when I said good plugs... NGK's are what I was talking about. Thanks Davy120 for clarifying that.

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh gotcha lol

OP
OP
atc06jh

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the quick responses and help yall! Hopefully I can get all this done ASAP and do most of it myself.

So far Im seeing:
Spark Plugs: Copper Core NKG
Spark Plug Wires: Any certain kind in mind?
Transmission fluid, filter, and gasket change
Engine coolant flush
Change oil to synthetic blend with a MOPAR or whichever I prefer filter
And I'll clean and reoil my K&N Filter
I'll also run some Sea Foam through the engine before the oil change and then a full bottle of it for the trip down seeing as it'll take just about a full tank to get there so that'll help clean up the injectors and sensors the gas comes across.

Thanks for everything! If there are any more ideas, thoughts, opinions on what to do or what products to use, please let me know.