Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, I'm looking for a tuner. Superchips or diablosport. I found a used intune near me for relatively cheap, but will it do what I want? Or do I need to get s superchips?

What I want: I absolutely hate the way the trans shifts while driving around town. Under very light throttle,(around 25-30 mph) it up shifts way too early and has an annoying as hell fluttery type sound. Driving in tow haul eliminates that, but I'd rather not have to put it in and out of tow haul all the time. I don't know if it's the way the trans is tuned factory or if it's Mds screwing things up, but God it's annoying. So,I want to shut off mds, and would like the tune (performance of course) to hopefully change the light throttle shift points.

I know superchips had the advanced trans tuning, but do the canned tunes on either tuner, change the way the trans shifts?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

jdwildman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
That sounds more like the MDS kicking in, not a transmission shift point. Tow/haul gets rid of it, or putting the tranny in manual shift mode, or obviously tuning the MDS out with a tuner. I hated that fluttery sputtery MDS. Tuned it out with a Superchips tuner.

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x2 (SWB)

jdwildman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
You still running an '03?

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I'm up to an 08 now. It's like my 4th ram since I signed up for the forum lol.

I don't know how to tell if it's the mds or not. I didn't think the Mds was supposed to kick in that early.

Either way, do the 2 tuners change the shift points in their canned tunes?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it's mds. I have a superchips, and it does change shift points with the canned tunes. That being said, first gear doesn't shift to second until about 20mph... kind of annoying. Still makes the truck feel new. And the advanced trans tuning is only $40.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if it's definitely the mds, would you recommend going the cheaper route of the used intune? Or is superchips a lot better and worth spending the extra cash (haven't really found any used).

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'd do the intune. Superchips is a good tuner also but the Diablo is probably the best for the hemi's. I love my intune, especially after I got the hemifever tune for it.

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll give it a shot. I don't know that I'll ever go as far as custom tuning, but you never know. I'm sure we've all said I'm only doing this or not going any further than that, until we do lol.

Thanks for all the input

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure we've all said I'm only doing this or not going any further than that, until we do lol.

Ain't that the truth..

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'll give it a shot. I don't know that I'll ever go as far as custom tuning, but you never know. I'm sure we've all said I'm only doing this or not going any further than that, until we do lol.

Thanks for all the input

Lol that's exactly what I said, about 3 weeks later I was sending hemifever an email.

jdwildman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Glad you got it sorted. My application is a little different, I suppose. I just wrote the canned Performance '93 tune into mine. Not really sure if it adjusted the tranny or not. I slapped 37" Terra Grapplers on her and swapped out the 3.21 diff with a 4.56. Threw everything off when I put the 37s on, obviously. The tune made it right again, and the diff swap gave me my mpg and performance back. With the exception of the very soft stock 3-4 shift point (which was always there), tranny seems right with just the tune. Happy modding!

OP
OP
jethro 03

jethro 03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got the intune, and turned off the mds. That was definitely the problem. There must be something wrong with it to come on so early. It was like 15-20mph under very light throttle. I wouldn't mind it if it wouldn't kick in until above 50 or so.

I installed the 91 tune. I didn't change anything except turning off mds and putting the throttle booster up 15% (because I'm not sure what to change without screwing anything up). Honestly,I haven't noticed much of a difference. But I never really race my truck around either, so maybe there's more of a difference than I can tell lol. I need to read up and try to figure out what else to play with and what settings are what.

I also had a magnaflow 12259 welded in. I just replaced the muffler and left the resonator. It rumbles nicely under throttle, not too loud. Almost no drone at highway speed. I'm going to drive it for a month or so and decide how I like it. If I want it louder, I'll lose the resonator as well.