Ugh 2 more codes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So today my light came on and I got it scanned and it threw 2 codes; P1793 and P0601. Both say possibly ECM failure from what autozone states. Any input on this guys I appreciate! Also how hard of a job it would be? Truck is a 02 4.7 2wd

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called dodge dealer just in case it is a ECM to see price they want, got quoted $759 for part and reprogrammed. They said PCM and ECM are same is this true? And any input on original post I'd appreciate.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I dont know how to diagnose a failed pcm but im sure if you got access to chrysler service information (or other types alldata, mitchell) you would have the info to do so.

It takes more than the advice of the local parts store to drop 800$ on a pcm, for me at least. But that doesnt mean they are not correct.

Good luck!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I was trying to look online to find how to diagnose it and haven't had much luck, but keep trying

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P1793:

When Monitored: During torque managed shifts with Throttle angle above 54 degrees.

This system is also tested whenever the vehicle is stopped and the engine speed is below 1000 RPM.

Set Condition: This code is set when the Transmission Control Module sends two subsequent Torque Reduction messages (pulses the TRD ckt to ground) to the Powertrain Control Module via the TRD link circuit and the TCM does not receive a confirmation from the PCM over the communication bus.

Possible causes:
RELATED DTC's ARE PRESENT
INTERMITTENT WIRING & CONNECTORS
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TORQUE MANAGEMENT REQUEST SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
PCM - TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR
TCM - TRD LINK COMMUNICATION ERROR

I can think of three things that could cause this. 1) a failed TCM harness or connector to the transmission, 2) a failed TCM, or, 3) a failed torque sensor inside the transmission.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P0601 -

Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error

Basically that means that there is an intenral fault in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

So I'd consider the P1793 as a secondary codes based on the PCM failure indicated by P0601.

A code P0601 in most cases means the PCM has gone bad. This is possibly due to a short-circuit inside the PCM. Or, if you disconnect the wires/connector from the PCM while the battery is still connected, that may also cause this code. Possible Solutions With a P0601 OBD-II trouble code, the most common fix is to replace and reprogram the PCM. In a few cases the dealer may be able to reflash the PCM and get it working. But more than likely the PCM will need to be replaced and reprogrammed. The good news is it *may* be covered under your emmissions warranty. So even if you're out of bumper-to-bumper warranty or powertrain warranty, check your warranty guide or dealer to see if this is covered.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MADDOG- so your thinking replacing the PCM will resolve both codes, so I should just replace the PCM?

Sadly I bought the truck used so no warranty :(

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reviving thread. I haven't done anything to it yet because honestly got busy and forgot about it. Had inspection the other day and they failed me due to only 1 code which is the P0601 one. Now autozone said ECM, and I know PCM is mentioned. I want to handle this now as I need to inspect it. I was going to go to a junk yard and try and find one to save me from dropping $800 on it at the stealer.

My question is, am I looking for ECM or PCM? Second question, if getting used what exactly should the truck I'm taking it from have compared to mine (same year/ engine, etc)?, and will it need to be reflash if buying used?

jhosler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I bought a remanufactured PCM/ECM for my '04 Ram with the 4.7, and it had to be programmed to my VIN number otherwise it wouldn't work. It cost me a little over $300.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who did you buy from? I still need to do this, I'm slacking big time lol

jhosler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I saw their website, did a little research and I saw a decent amount of negative reviews which made me nervous.