Uh-oh! Gas pump problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hello everyone! Asking y'alls help today. Recently, Ive noticed a whining noise behind the cab, on the derivers side... At about where the gas tank is... I suppose it is the gas pump going out. The other day, while driving around, I stepped on the gas, and instead of accelerating, the truck kind of stuttered, as if I was on and off the gas... The truck would not accelerate past 30mi/h. checked the engine bay and all seemed normal (I thought the MAF sensor came off), after leaving it cool down, I started it up again, and drove off... it accelerated normally then.

My question to those who've seen or experienced this issue... Is this a gas pump issue, or totally different issue? I'd like to thank all in advanced for chipping in, and hope this thread could hel someone in the future as well!

Truck Specs... 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, QC, 5.7 HEMI 2x4

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check for codes. And if you know someone with a scan tool,see if it will check you fuel pressure. I've never looked. But it could be a fuel filter. Just don't know where its at.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The fuel filter is on top of the fuel sending unit in the tank.

Check the pressure if you can - could be the pump/sending unit since you're hearing the noise.

OP
OP
DRE_MEX

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thats what I think, Ive not the chance to check yet, but will soon. Thanks!

The fuel filter is on top of the fuel sending unit in the tank.

Check the pressure if you can - could be the pump/sending unit since you're hearing the noise.

OP
OP
DRE_MEX

DRE_MEX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2015
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Check for codes. And if you know someone with a scan tool,see if it will check you fuel pressure. I've never looked. But it could be a fuel filter. Just don't know where its at.

Yeah, like @07MegaCabRam said, fuel fillter is attop the fuel sending unit..., Will have to check that too... I will probably end up pulling the gas tank down anyway, so might as well take a look at the things in there. THanks for chipping in!