Underdrive pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is anyone running an underdrive pulley?

Seems like a fairly cheap and easy mod. I know some of my buddies that ran 5.0 mustangs all had them, I was wandering if it would be worth it in our trucks.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I've heard mixed results with them, some say they are well worth it and others say they caused more harm than good.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've heard mixed results with them, some say they are well worth it and others say they caused more harm than good.

I believe it was the ASP/Motoblue underdrive pulleys that were causing tone ring failure on guys engines.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
if its less than $300 you dont want it. theres very few good companies out there with a solid reputation, and i dont think any of them have the pulley for much less than $300. The key is it MUST be a harmonic balancer as well. If not (or if its not perfectly harmonized) it'll destroy your engine

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
Pass on this mod. You are willing to lose cooling capability, the ability to hold a decent charge at idle, air conditioning performance and the assist provided at low speed by power steering for 10 maybe 15 crank hp. **** that. On mustangs and stuff it makes sense as the guys who run these have minimal electrical load and the ac deleted. IMO put your $ elsewhere.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pass on this mod. You are willing to lose cooling capability, the ability to hold a decent charge at idle, air conditioning performance and the assist provided at low speed by power steering for 10 maybe 15 crank hp. **** that. On mustangs and stuff it makes sense as the guys who run these have minimal electrical load and the ac deleted. IMO put your $ elsewhere.

Makes sense. The more I read about them, the more I think I will pass. If my truck was not my DD and was a street/strip truck, then maybe.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
Yeah for a racer it would make some sense. With a DD it gets old. With my mustang I was running an UD crank pulley but with the stock alternator if the E fan kicked on it would not put out enough to properly run both the fuel pumps at idle so when the E fan turned on at idle it got pretty choppy. A 90w alt fixed it. Think about how much more load would be in a truck electrical system especially if you have extra lights at night and an aftermarket stereo.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
See I know guys running the UD and an ALt pully and the combo cut some time off their ET's and they run just fine BUT is it worth it???? IMO unless you're at the track every weekend the answer is no.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
so i guess this can sit on the shelf next to the TB spacers...lol

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
^^^ lol in my last car it had a/c delete, heater delete, power steering delete, interior had as steeringwheel and a drivers seat. ud pulleys full exhaust and a supercharger. was fun as hell and it was my dd

AParrette

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
3.8L SUPERCHARGED
in florida's heat. it had a 160 tstat and ran straight water for coolant. sucked in the summer when i had to stop. and winter was iffy since you had to wear a jacket. but it was a heated seat

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I will agree with everyone else. There is alot that can go wrong with this unbolt bolt mod that makes what lill gain not worth it (ESP for a DD).

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
in florida's heat. it had a 160 tstat and ran straight water for coolant. sucked in the summer when i had to stop. and winter was iffy since you had to wear a jacket. but it was a heated seat

That's hardcore right there!

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
i have a asp crank pulley on my truck. the only time i see that it can be a little bit of a problem is when you are sitting still for a long period of time with the a/c on. just sitting still without the a/c on it does charge a little less. but to add there wasnt much of a performance gain. and i donnt have a big stereo or extra lighting. you can tell when my e-fan kicks on. it drops the charging a little. i have yet to have any problems though. as long as you are running atleast 1000rpms it charges just the same as stock. i would say that if i got a different alt pulley all issues would be solved.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
How much of a gain did you see with it on? Do you have any numbers on it (before and after the install)?

I think if I wanted to get a bit more out of mine (during the winter months) i would rather run a short belt and bypass the ac altogether and see how it runs then.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
How much of a gain did you see with it on? Do you have any numbers on it (before and after the install)?

no numbers. could feel a small gain. i am just guessing here, gonna say about 5hp.