unleashing the beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ive been reading about some of the tuners that let you change shift points and gain performance. Overall Im happy with my trucks performance. It doesnt need much gas pedal to get it up to highway speeds. I would however like to get it up to speed a little faster. My truck has the hemi motor and tow package so I understand that the gearing is set up move the truck at a similar pace loaded down or not. (please correct me if Im wrong on this) Are there any tuners that I can set up for performance when Im driving daily and revert back to stock when Im pulling a load?

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
My superchips has a tow setting, too. You may want to get one that you can use as a gauge, also, so you can monitor your tranny temps while towing.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Tow setting meaning its for a truck not originally set up for towing?

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly the performance tune would help out when towing. I've got a diablosport trinity tuner with a hemifever custom tune set up for maximum performance on 93 octane, and it tows much better than it did stock.

and to HLram, for some reason on 3rd gens, even tuners like the trinity with the ability to monitor, will not display the trans temp. It has the option but they dont seem to work. Ive seen and heard people say the same of diablos and bullydogs and others. The only one I've seen that will monitor it was the Aeroforce interceptor gauge.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tow setting meaning its for a truck not originally set up for towing?

The tow setting is just some reworked shift points on most tuners.

The only differences between your truck with the tow package and one without is axle ratio (3.92 for towing and quad cabs, 3.55 for most others) and a factory trailer hitch with wiring for lights/brakes.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Honestly the performance tune would help out when towing. I've got a diablosport trinity tuner with a hemifever custom tune set up for maximum performance on 93 octane, and it tows much better than it did stock.

and to HLram, for some reason on 3rd gens, even tuners like the trinity with the ability to monitor, will not display the trans temp. It has the option but they dont seem to work. Ive seen and heard people say the same of diablos and bullydogs and others. The only one I've seen that will monitor it was the Aeroforce interceptor gauge.

Gotcha. Never have tried one on this truck, just have always run the SC tuner, no gauge on it. But yes I totally agree with you about the performance tunes helping with towing. I just wonder how heavy of a load the OP pulls if he is worried that a perf tune would hurt anything? I have pulled with my Hemifever in my 12 truck with zero issues, tranny and all stayed the same as stock would have been. Maybe better actually bc the trans doesn't shift up and down as much bc there is more power where you need it at.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good information but misconception on my part. Im looking for faster 0 - 60 speed and thought that a tuner might have a negative effect on pulling power when towing any weight. Realistically if Im towing anything, It would be a small travel trailer, or if I loose my marbles, another small boat.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
you will be fine with a tune, then

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, a tune setup for performance will help as long as you dont get too wild into the shift points for the TCM tuning. Mine is setup to race/haul ass so it shifts at 6300 wide open. Even with that setting, I was able to tow my 86 camaro on an 18' trailer that's actually meant for a tractor. So I figure total weight there was somewhere in the 6000lb range and it did just fine.

As a matter of fact I towed it 25 miles to the racetrack, put a for sale sign on it, unhooked the truck and raced the truck, then hooked back up and towed it home. Only thing that changed was tire pressure.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm thinking your tow package might surprise you. I would recommend checking to see exactly how it differs from the other packages. If you have 20" rims you most likely have a 3:92 gear. If it came with 17" rims then 3:55 gear is most likely. What will give you IMO the best bang for the dollar would be a gear change. Any improvement in performance helps with towing in general, including improved fuel mileage, acceleration, less strain on the vehicle and smile factor. Clearly the Dodge engineers got the gearing wrong on our trucks. Good luck...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963