Unusual sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey folks, I have an issue and wanted to check and see if there is anyone who has had the same experience and what the correction was.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 2WD with 78k miles on it. I noticed recently that there is a groaning noise coming from under the engine/tranny area when i do a hard acceleration from a stopped position. Additionally it happens when I back in reverse. Both instances it only happens occasionally. There are no shifting issues or any other syptoms to describe, it just makes that noise with a little vibration feedback through the gas pedal and in general.

This started happening after one time I hauled my camper (pop-up) and forgot to engage the tow/haul on my gear selector. I drove that way for about a half an hour and realized it when I started to make a climb. I engaged the tow/haul and it was fine until I started up again from a stop sign. Ever since then, it happens occasionally even without towing anything.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
D

Doug M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh and BTW, the groaning noise only lasts a couple seconds whenever it does happen.

OP
OP
D

Doug M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know, I picked up the truck earlier this year with about 72K miles on it. So the assumption would be never.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I'd take it down and get it all up to speed on maintenance (trans, oil, diff, plugs etc.) and see if the noise is still there.

OP
OP
D

Doug M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
If anything it will help eliminate some factors that could be causing it. You never know what has been done to a vehicle maintenance wise when buying used unless they give you a full report, and a lot of people do not follow the maintenance logs like the should for the major items.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed on maintenance, but it really sounds like it could also be a weak trans mount, or a loose Y pipe slip fitting. I've seen several(including mine) rams where the OEM clamp at the Y loosens after being messed with, and causes a groan more than it does a rattle.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I would think if it was an exhaust issue the rattle or grown would be there at idle as well not just under hard acceleration or reverse.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine would do it momentarily on hard take off only.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not saying that IS the sound, just a possibility

CSI-INDY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L HEMI
Oh and BTW, the groaning noise only lasts a couple seconds whenever it does happen.
Hi I'm unsure if this is the same as you're hearing/experiencing, sounds familiar tho. my 18 RAM 1500 Longhorn has a weird mechanical groaning sound in the cabin area with truck turned OFF & it is intermittent but continuous! From in the passenger side front door inside I hear this (I have bad ears but I can't hear from the outside of the truck). When I asked the dealership about it I got shrugs.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi I'm unsure if this is the same as you're hearing/experiencing, sounds familiar tho. my 18 RAM 1500 Longhorn has a weird mechanical groaning sound in the cabin area with truck turned OFF & it is intermittent but continuous! From in the passenger side front door inside I hear this (I have bad ears but I can't hear from the outside of the truck). When I asked the dealership about it I got shrugs.
You may want to start your own thread in the 4th Gen section, this thread ended in 2013.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7