Vibration at high speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have recently noticed on my truck that when I am cruising around 70+ I can hear something vibrating. It sounds a little like when your tire hits those wake up strips on the shoulder of the road, but not as loud. It sounds like it is coming from under my seat or a little in front of it. My guess was maybe my front driveshaft? Or possibly a rotor or wheel bearing? Thanks

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well first guess would de driveshaft joints. Go crawl under your truck and check them. Bring a light. Check if it is loose up down side to side or if there is any visible rust dust, pierced boots, anything out of the ordinary.
Is your truck stock?

OP
OP
FancyStancy

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Drive shaft joints seem to be okay. Everything seems tight. The driveshaft has no play but it does rotate a little bit, maybe 5 degrees or so. My truck is not so stock. It has an 8 in suspension lift on 37s. Still has stock shafts but angles are fine. Here are some pictures I just got:

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 190
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
FancyStancy

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That would make a lot of sense. My steering wheel is not lined up straight when I am going straight and when I let go of the wheel I veer over to the left. I knew it was time for an alignment but I didn't know I would be hearing these noises. Could alignment have anything to do with play in the steering wheel?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
With tires as big as yours a little wobble in one will will make it pull. Get the tires balanced and rotated, free at most places, see what that does then move on to an alignment, then move on to the bigger items. When diagnosing problems go with the small stuff first and work your way up, save you a lot of cash that way.

Also, the more information you can give for an issue the better.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had the very same issue with my truck, it was the left front wheel Bering. I replaced that and issue gone.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
This is not gonna cause your noise but while your checking out the frontend check the tierods. Your lift is gonna play hell on them

OP
OP
FancyStancy

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wheel bearing? How much did that cost ya?

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Around $200 and I did it myself. If it is the left one it's made for abs as the plug is for the cruse and if it is 4wd and it looks like it you'll need a air hammer to push the axel out. If it is real bad you can pull on the top of the tire and feel it move. Mine wasn't that bad but it shook the crap out of the truck.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just noticed you have a 2500. So yours may be a bit easier to do with the different front end

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would look into getting a road force balance its far more accurate than regular balancing with oversized tires

OP
OP
FancyStancy

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I went in for a rotation and alignment yesterday, Solved the problem. I stood over the people working on my truck (I hate seeing people touch my truck lol) and noticed that when they went to balance the tire that had the vibration, they spent a lot more time on that tire than the others. I guess it was just very unbalanced. Big thanks for the help bud, really helped me a lot!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I went in for a rotation and alignment yesterday, Solved the problem. I stood over the people working on my truck (I hate seeing people touch my truck lol) and noticed that when they went to balance the tire that had the vibration, they spent a lot more time on that tire than the others. I guess it was just very unbalanced. Big thanks for the help bud, really helped me a lot!

Some information for you next time you get tires or start having problems:

When the tire shop starts to balance your tires, if one seems to be way out of balance have them remount it with the tire turned between 45 and 90 degrees from where the marks are. Sometimes that helps out especially if the issue is more than just the tire. :secret:

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How much weight did they add to get it to balance? Did they use tape weight or the hammer on kind on the bead, and is all the weight together? Not that it really matters now that it's fixed I was just wondering.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Sometimes when a tire /rim combo is being difficult to balance you can rotate the tire on the rim 90 degree's at a time to find the best position for balancing.