Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Water pump

This is a discussion on Water pump within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
I agree with CostaRam. Since you just had a hose changed recently, that would be the first place to start. ...

Like Tree3Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: 4.7
I agree with CostaRam. Since you just had a hose changed recently, that would be the first place to start. The leak could very easily be coming from higher up and then trickling down a hose to the bottom of the motor.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine: 5.7L
Originally Posted by CostaRam View Post
The leak can be also from a corroded fusion opening plug.
I had this happen. I replaced a water pump only to have another leak ~ a year later. I can't prove it, but I suspect it might've been due to having to use "universal" anti-freeze rather than G-05. In small towns, you take what you can get and that's all they had.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7L Magnum
Yea im at 204,000 miles on my truck. And i paid 50 for the pump tomorrow after class I'm going to change it out. Any tips on what I need to know? And I also did clean it up and can visibly see the coolant streaks come from the pump. It's very hard to see with everything in the way but once you see it you can tell right away. After tomorrow I gotta find a fit for my other leak lol only bad thing about a older truck. Thank you guys for all the knowledge and help
Ian_Olivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Also what's a fusion opening plug?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Take your time doing it. Trace the new pump on some card board and as you take bolts off the old one, put them on the cardboard where they're supposed to go. Lots of bolts with different lengths etc. Makes it easier to remember.

I have a picture of what I'm talking about in my build thread linked in my signature.
Blue_Smoke13 likes this.

Performance
Monroe Quik-struts, Airaid MIT, SC 87 tune
usaf2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: 5.7 HEMI
Ian_Olivas,
sorry for the wrong transalation, in english its called a core plug.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_plug
Chris

My 2016 xmas present (self-gifted)
2011 RAM 1500 Sport 5.7l HEMI 35tm (mint)
CostaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7
Freeze plugs

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
bulrid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 4.7 Magnum
I'm assuming you've already completed your project. For future reference, the water pump on the 4.7 has a purge valve on the top that will displace coolant if the pump is malfunctioning.

To find out if it is malfunctioning, pressure check your coolant system (you can borrow the tools from AZ or Advance), wait a few minutes, look for coolant on the top of your water pump (about 1-2 o'clock).

I'd replace thermostat, thermostat gasket, and water pump gasket while you've got it off. That's so you don't have to drain the coolant again. It's also recommended you replace the fan clutch because they both have the same service life, and you've got to take the fan assembly off to get to the water pump. (Water Pump should be $45-50, fan clutch is an additional $45-50).

I recently changed out my water pump and got a bad fan clutch from the store. So I'm with a new pump and old fan clutch. Because sometimes you've gota live a little.
smiley3303 likes this.
Blue_Smoke13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Blue_Smoke13 View Post
I'm assuming you've already completed your project. For future reference, the water pump on the 4.7 has a purge valve on the top that will displace coolant if the pump is malfunctioning.

To find out if it is malfunctioning, pressure check your coolant system (you can borrow the tools from AZ or Advance), wait a few minutes, look for coolant on the top of your water pump (about 1-2 o'clock).

I'd replace thermostat, thermostat gasket, and water pump gasket while you've got it off. That's so you don't have to drain the coolant again. It's also recommended you replace the fan clutch because they both have the same service life, and you've got to take the fan assembly off to get to the water pump. (Water Pump should be $45-50, fan clutch is an additional $45-50).

I recently changed out my water pump and got a bad fan clutch from the store. So I'm with a new pump and old fan clutch. Because sometimes you've gota live a little.
Yea I did it the 10th or 11th can't remember exactly but it runs and doesn't leak anymore I just have the damn power steering leak now. And I did not replace the fan clutch I still have the original on but I did replace the serpentine belt because that was original and on rainy days when I drive over a puddle the water would cause the old belt to slip and i temporary lost power steering until it caught back again. It rained today and I drove over puddles and kept my power steering so that's a plus lol