water pump failure....again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I had a new water pump installed on my 07 1500 hemi ram at a dealer north of Dallas about a year and a half ago. Had the cooling system flushed and new coolant put in. Now, a year and a half later with maybe 30,000 more miles on it, the water pump is leaking again. If the dealer didn't put that high dollar special coolant in it, could that have caused the new pump to fail? I think the 07s need it just like my 12 model does? May have just gotten a bad pump. It is too far for me to go back to have the same dealer fix it, I will do it myself this time when I am at home. Just curious what everyones thoughts were on this?

Last edited:

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Just found out today I might need a new water pump or tensioner pully but I have original parts with 66k miles.
Sub this topic.

OP
OP
HLram

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I put on the new water pump today. What a PITA. Actually found one of the top bolts that hold the water pump on was missing. I couldn't put another bolt in the hole ( it was under the alternator and AC so I couldn't really SEE it), so I am assuming that the dealer that installed it twisted it off when they did it a year and a half ago. I put the new one on and had a couple small leaks but was able to snug the bolts enough to stop all the leaks. So it is done, but I think the old one was just leaking from that missing bolt area. The new one has a great gasket on it I was impressed at that. So it should hold fine. I will keep monitoring it to look for leaks. To remove the fan all I did was use a really small pipe wrench ( maybe a 6" long one- real small) to hold the pulley on top (wedged up against the alternator bracket thingamajig) while using a big crescent (14'') to take the fan off (turns counter clockwise btw). Had to hit the crescent with a hammer once to pop it loose. I wasn't going to reuse the pulley as the new pump came with one on it as usual, so I didn't care if it got damaged. Found a lot of crap in the hose ends of the old pump, like corrosion. I will flush system in a couple weeks when I am off work again. I used Zerex G-05 coolant like I was supposed to. Bled all air out etc. Cooling fine.