Water pump pulley squeaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've been doing some research on what pulley may be squeaking on my truck and I've read that the water pump pulley will squeak when accelerating. Is this true. I only hear the squeak when accelerating. But I just had my water pump replaced by the dealership a month ago. And I believe I'm correct in saying water pumps come with a new pulley.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
The only thing that I can think of that would squeal on a WP is when the bearing is going out (which, it being new you shouldn't have to worry about). It doesn't take much for a pulley to be off alignment for it to wear the belt into a squeak, the idlers and tensioner are a good place to start.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
It depends... You can usually tell it's toast if you can move it back and fourth with little effort, the tensoning spring usually goes and causes slippage of the belt on other pulley's making think that component is going bad when it's really just fine. I always replace the tensionor and all the idler pulley's together. You can do the string test to make sure all of your pulley's are centered as supposed to be and rule that out. The tensionor would be my first guess.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only real way to tell, is to remove the belt (you dont have to take it off of the truck, just off of the tensioner). Then hand rotate each pulley. If any of them are bad, you will be able to hear the bearings as you rotate it.

My tensioner and alternator bearings were going bad. After replacing these, I still had a different (much quieter) squeal, turns out it was the belt.

I suggest checking each pulley AND a new belt.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When it squeaks when you accelerate (and sometimes not) then it's the belt slipping.
A dying bearing would squeal always, even when idle but probably less loud.
There is a belt conditioner spray, they can help, but a new belt would be the safer fix.
Chris

OP
OP
BigBlue05

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When it squeaks when you accelerate (and sometimes not) then it's the belt slipping.
A dying bearing would squeal always, even when idle but probably less loud.
There is a belt conditioner spray, they can help, but a new belt would be the safer fix.
Chris

Even though the belt brand new from the dealership

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you change the water pump you might as well change the other pulleys to. They don't cost that much.