weird random issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having a few odd issues with the truck. Just picked it up. 2004 hemi ram 4wd quad cab short bed. 204k miles.

Water pump was bad, so i changed it and the thermostat since I was already in there. Was having issues with the upper rad hose collapsing after the change, ended up bleeding the air a lot and then finally having to change out the rad cap which seems to have fixed the issue. But now, the temp is fluctuating a lot though when moving slow or stopped and idling. It will sit at the halfway mark, but can go up almost to the 3/4 area to the H, then swiftly drop back down. Im not sure why. is this even sort of normal as I havent seen it Not broken?

Truck died while driving down the road, was essentially coasting down a hill when it happened, then didnt want to start (had to crank for 2-3 seconds to start it) and had to try twice to get it to fire. Im thinking possible IAC sensor? Already reset PCM and did the throttle reset (APPS).

Wouldn't start this morning at all, just turned over about 1 time then stopped. Finally got it to crank, and then it just cranked without firing off. Released key after about 4-5 seconds of cranking, tried again and it popped right off this but ran slightly rough for about 10 seconds and I could smell fuel in the exhaust. Does have the p0300 code both pending and confirmed (Multiple cylinder random misfire).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It runs down the road fine, runs great, sounds fine etc. But im worried about the above issues.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you drain the coolant from the block via block plugs. Might be related to the cooling problem

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you drain the coolant from the block via block plugs. Might be related to the cooling problem

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

no i did not, i've never done that before and I've changed many water pumps.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just rechecked the codes today (i cleared them the other day).. and now it has p0335 and p0340 (crankshaft pos a and camshaft pos a). but starts/runs fine. any ideas?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unplug both the crank and cam sensors, clean the plugs, add a dab of dielectric grease and plug them back in. Clear the codes and see if that helped or if they come back. If they do, then you will probably want to think about replacing those 2 sensors. That's where I would start at least.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so its been eating water(thought it was a leak). think i saw water vapor/steam coming out the tailpipe today. also know it was pushing water out the overflow, it was down a half radiator in amount on my drive to/from work with some idling as well in my driveway while I checked temps with a infrared thermometer(temps seemed okay overall).

how do you tell if the heads need the NON crappy valvesprings (that is the problem with 04s correct)? how much should it cost to have the heads checked. Any idea?

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
so its been eating water(thought it was a leak). think i saw water vapor/steam coming out the tailpipe today. also know it was pushing water out the overflow, it was down a half radiator in amount on my drive to/from work with some idling as well in my driveway while I checked temps with a infrared thermometer(temps seemed okay overall).

how do you tell if the heads need the NON crappy valvesprings (that is the problem with 04s correct)? how much should it cost to have the heads checked. Any idea?

I believe it was 03s and early 04s. My 04 has a build date of 9/03, so I would consider that an early 04. But, I have 191000 miles on the truck and haven't had a problem. I am planning on changing the springs tho, it's just a matter of when now. I don't want to wait for a failure, that's for sure but I do need to put the funds aside for the parts and then the time to do the work.

OP
OP
C

carrmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is the build date on these besides the drivers door?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye