what else can I do for power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im looking for any advancement in power, the only thing I can think of is an efan. I have a magnaflow exhaust, tuner, cai with a 1200CFM airfilter, 3.92 gears, 5.7 hemi

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are still a number of things you can do for power, it's all just how complex and/or expensive you want to get.

Power adders:
headers
fully upgraded exhaust (pipe and cats in addition to your muffler)
cam

You should also consider installing upgrades that allow you to better use the power you already have:

4.10s or 4.56s w/ a better LSD
Higher stall torque converter

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Yep you are far from done on power mods. Just depends how much you want to pay

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How extensive is a cam install? Im all about DIY and learning

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if you havent done any internal engine mods it would be best to have someone do it and you watch, seeing as your in tyler texas. I would reccomend SAM_SAWCUT64. He did my cam install, and numerous others. Very good at what he does,quick,and very knowledgable. Pretty cheap considering a cam install at a shop would be in the thousands, where as sam is considerably cheaper.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
How much do stalls run and are they worth it without cam?

Depends, most run right around $450 on up. Are they worth it, yes, are they worth it without a cam, yes..... as long as you plan it ou right. The stock converter is responcible for around 14% of the drive train loss, most of the performance converters will reduce that number down to around 6% which equals around 30-35rwhp increase. The catch with this mod, is you need to know where you are going with the rest of your mods. If you are staying with a stock cam, you dont want the stall to high. If you are going to do a cam, you need to know where that cam hits the meat of the powerband so your stall matches. So its a bit of homework but well worth it in the end.

How extensive is a cam install? Im all about DIY and learning

Its not to difficult, but I do agree that if you havent worked on a hemi, the best thing is to get someone who has and let them walk through it while you help out. That way everything is done right and you learn what goes where and does what etc. etc.

weedahoe

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cammed and custom tuned 5.7
I feel like if you follow my DIY cam install thread then it can be done flawlessly and seemlessly

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I feel like if you follow my DIY cam install thread then it can be done flawlessly and seemlessly

I just read through it and I feel like that is easy as pie, a few careful steps here and there.

Besides a cam, what all do I need.

weedahoe

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cammed and custom tuned 5.7
(16) 6.1 valve springs
6.1 push rods
new crank/cam bolt
oil/filter, coolant, 1 qrt of ATF4
OEM 29137 tool to pull crank damper
custom valve spring tool ($75 - PM me) or Miller tools ($200+)
any new parts you want to replace like plugs, wires, belt, hoses, air filter, ECT

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im seeing intake and exhaust pushrods as I look online?

Last edited:

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
torque converter is an awesome mod, especially when paired with gears. i can beat most anybody off the line, regardless how fast they are, just because of the gearing and stall i have. fairly simple install if you have access to a lift and tranny jack.