What exactly is a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
So I've been searching on the forums for just ram don't reads and I've seen alot of people ask "4.7 or 5.7 tune" or "new exhaust need tune" or "tune setup?" So what exactly is a tune up and what are you tuning? Like I had just recently put a CAI and new exhaust system on my truck so should I get a tune up? Sorry if I sound stupid for asking this, I honestly don't know and want to learn more

new_hemi14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Basically it tunes the PCM, it can change air fuel ratios, timing, shift points etc.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Basically it tunes the PCM, it can change air fuel ratios, timing, shift points etc.

So since I have a CAI and a new exhaust do you recommend that I get a tune? And where would I get one done at or how could I do it?

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
And I should be more specific what my exhaust contains. I put on some gibson shorty headers and have an x-pipe with no cats and 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers With 2.5" piping

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A tune will help bring out some extra power but isn't completely necessary. I'm not sure what kind of results the 4.7s get from a tuner. I don't know exactly what all the options are for a tuner for an 02 4.7, but I know Superchips has one available. Most people with the superchips tuners seem to be happy with them.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
So since I have a CAI and a new exhaust do you recommend that I get a tune? And where would I get one done at or how could I do it?

Yes, because your computer is basically making your CAI worthless at this point adjusting for the extra air. Your computer is doing a 14:1 on fuel to air ratio.

So your $200+ air intake sound changer will be more beneficial if you have a tune to change the parameters within your ECU to do more functions, like change the air intake, throttle response, shift schedule, spark timing, and disabling MDS are just a few.

I have a buddy that has a dyno shop (mostly Diesels) and tunes can be felt right away.. it's fun to get in there and play with everything. As long as you know what you're doing and or have a backup.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Yes, because your computer is basically making your CAI worthless at this point adjusting for the extra air. Your computer is doing a 14:1 on fuel to air ratio.

So your $200+ air intake sound changer will be more beneficial if you have a tune to change the parameters within your ECU to do more functions, like change the air intake, throttle response, shift schedule, spark timing, and disabling MDS are just a few.

I have a buddy that has a dyno shop (mostly Diesels) and tunes can be felt right away.. it's fun to get in there and play with everything. As long as you know what you're doing and or have a backup.
You mentioned a buddy that has a dyno shop and he tunes. Sor can most dyno shops do a tune or your friend just happens to do it?

hemi_loredo03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't need to get a dyno tune. I highly recommend buying a Superchip handheld tuner. Brand new they are around $400 i think. You can probably find one used on ebay or the "For Sale" section on here for less than $200.

You take the Superchips handheld and you plug it into your OBD2 port and simply follow the instructions on the handheld screen to tune your truck. You will have the choice of picking between 3 canned tunes. Very simple.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as Loredo said. It's super easy. Talked about a half hour to install a new tune using a handheld tuner. Things you can do:
Change tire size if you deviated from stock
Disable MDS
Install canned tune for mpg, 87,89,91 octane, mpg tune isn't much different than the mpg tube tho
Adjust shift points for transmission
And more..

Go to Superchips website and plug in your vehicle info to see what's available for your truck, then look on ebay, etc., to find a tuner. But make sure it's UNLOCKED when you buy it.

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Just as Loredo said. It's super easy. Talked about a half hour to install a new tune using a handheld tuner. Things you can do:
Change tire size if you deviated from stock
Disable MDS
Install canned tune for mpg, 87,89,91 octane, mpg tune isn't much different than the mpg tube tho
Adjust shift points for transmission
And more..

Go to Superchips website and plug in your vehicle info to see what's available for your truck, then look on ebay, etc., to find a tuner. But make sure it's UNLOCKED when you buy it.
Okay sounds good thank you guys for the information also with these upgrades what octane should I be using? And when you said change the tire size, like to recalibrate the speedometer to match my new tire size? Example like I go from small to larger tire sizes? And what is MDS? I red this alot on the forum but I don't know. I'm 19 and am learning alot so bare with me please, sorry

hemi_loredo03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay sounds good thank you guys for the information also with these upgrades what octane should I be using? And when you said change the tire size, like to recalibrate the speedometer to match my new tire size? Example like I go from small to larger tire sizes? And what is MDS? I red this alot on the forum but I don't know. I'm 19 and am learning alot so bare with me please, sorry

The octane depends on which tune you decide to run. If you select the 87 tune, then run 87 octane, if you select 89, then run 89 octane, if you select 91 then run 91 octane. The best performance tune would be the higher octane tune. And you are exactly correct on the tire size adjustments. You can use the handheld to change tire size so that your speedo reads MPH correctly. You don't have to worry about MDS, it is only on the 5.7 hemi's on the 07s and up I believe. It stands for Multi Displacement System and basically shuts off 4 of your engine cylinders to help with MPG.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My bad, I thought you had a hemi. Mds started in 06 at least, as I have it lol!

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
okay thanks guys for all the knowledge and yea no hemi wish i did though lol.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963