What is so bad about the Rams transmissions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I keep reading the old " Ram is junk, they have weak transmissions" or " All Dodge is good for is blowing up transmissions" blah, blah.

I did some googling and I have read people actually having transmission replacements at 80,000Kms, but I can never find out what is the issue?
It seems to be more of a second generation diesel issue more than anything?

Do the third/fourth generation Rams have the issue fixed? What exactly IS the issue? I would assume poor maintenance and over stressing the truck with Mods or too much pulling for the size would be a culprit.

I know plenty of GM products that have blown up transmissions, more so than any Ford or Dodge, and that's from experience. Just curious as to what the issues are, and if my 2005 applies to them.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think its more for the chevy and ford guys to find something to hate on dodge/Ram because they get tired of picking on each other so when they decide to start a fight with us they look for every and any little thing they can in their case they have seen a couple weak transmissions stories and of course the infamous (Moose antler) towing mirror jokes which i dont thing is a bad thing (let me know if you want to fight a moose with huge antlers lol) so all in all its just someone trying to start a ******* contest of trucks. But Damn do I love my Ram!!!!:favorites13:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too much WOT downshift is really bad for the 6 speeds. Its pretty sad you have to get a custom tune to boost line pressure to get longevity out of a trans.

Plenty of threads on this forum that talk about how ****** these are.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wide open throttle kick downs from overdrive seem to do them in.. I had the solenoid pack issue 15000 miles ago and then just a few weeks ago my transmission went all together. Lost 3rd gear and up. Still haven't figured the cause of it because there wasn't any chunks or nothing in the pan or filter and the fluid still looked good.my dad's a manager at our local dealership and he said they've only done about 5 of these 545rfe transmissions but I read on here it's a lil more frequent of a problem than that.

OP
OP
CanadianHemi

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wide open throttle kick downs from overdrive seem to do them in.. I had the solenoid pack issue 15000 miles ago and then just a few weeks ago my transmission went all together. Lost 3rd gear and up. Still haven't figured the cause of it because there wasn't any chunks or nothing in the pan or filter and the fluid still looked good.my dad's a manager at our local dealership and he said they've only done about 5 of these 545rfe transmissions but I read on here it's a lil more frequent of a problem than that.

Interesting, I couldn't really find anything about that. Most I found was a 2nd gen Cummins makes too much torque for an old design to handle.

I sometimes drive in OD to make a slow road feel a bit more fun, nothing wide open 4,500 rpm or anything. Maybe I should quit that out..
How could I tell which trans I have? I believe its just a 5 speed but I may be wrong.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Interesting, I couldn't really find anything about that. Most I found was a 2nd gen Cummins makes too much torque for an old design to handle.

I sometimes drive in OD to make a slow road feel a bit more fun, nothing wide open 4,500 rpm or anything. Maybe I should quit that out..
How could I tell which trans I have? I believe its just a 5 speed but I may be wrong.

You're good if you hit overdrive off before a full throttle kick down. Yours should be the 545rfe to. They're definitely improved over the 2nd gen transmissions but nothing like the new 8 speeds though.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I bought my truck used with 140k on the truck, I'm just hoping I'm not close to transmission problems. I just did a complete flush and everything looked fine and clean. But I want to add a cam later on down the road and I'm wondering how much the tranny will take

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I bought my truck used with 140k on the truck, I'm just hoping I'm not close to transmission problems. I just did a complete flush and everything looked fine and clean. But I want to add a cam later on down the road and I'm wondering how much the tranny will take

As far as the cam goes im not sure but i have 170k miles on my 05 and i drive at least 500 miles a week for work and I of course have fun on my trip home which is on the interstate. but my trans. feels fine. Had the dealer flush it and replace fluid and filter at about 160k and it shifts like new now.

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
on another note 3 of my buddies use to rag on me all the time for driving a ram. i say use to because after one blew the tranny in his silverado, the other blew the motor in his silverado, and the other has 4 broke down fords in his driveway they dont really say much anymore.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine only has 110k on it and it went. But it's fixed and back to being a beast. Runs and looks great still so whatever **** happens.

OP
OP
CanadianHemi

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, I don't think they sound any worse than a GM trans or a Ford. My previous truck was a Ford, and the trans would shift super hard out of 3rd into 4th, apparently a normal thing, even after adjustments and fluid. Also had it pop into neutral from reverse. And my family is the "The GM product is GOD", even though every 3500, blew a transmission, head gasket or dome gasket, and my mothers GMC 1500 just lost 2nd and reverse out of nowhere. They tried my Ram and now want one haha.

I just get roasted for owning a Dodge and usually I can combat and correct their misinformed arguments they throw at me. But the transmission one had me stumped.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Every vehicle has problems, if you've ever been in a automotive plant you kinda realize everything is just slapped together by people who barely care about their job. It's amazing they last as long as they do

OP
OP
CanadianHemi

CanadianHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Every vehicle has problems, if you've ever been in a automotive plant you kinda realize everything is just slapped together by people who barely care about their job. It's amazing they last as long as they do

You are very right there. I was looking at newer vehicles for a friend recently, I said they are made like a BIC lighter nowadays, use them for a while and throw them away, for a new one. It's scary how cheap and flimsy they are made. We are lucky to get 4-5 years out of a new vehicle here, thanks to salted roads in the winter and rough roads.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963